16,000 Current Insurance Industry Jobs Open in Nation, But Aging Workforce Poses Future Risk
Annual Insurance Industry Survey by GreatInsuranceJobs.com Shows Big Concerns
ORLANDO, Fla., March 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- In a comprehensive survey of 173 insurance companies, including phone interviews with agents and brokers, third party administrators and managing general agents, GreatInsuranceJobs.com reports 16,000 open and available jobs across the nation in the insurance industry. On top of that, the survey projected an additional 23,000 more by the end of this year. The survey and its findings were released today and are posted on GreatInsuranceJobs.com.
GreatInsuranceJobs.com surveyed 173 insurance entities (which together represent 15% of the industry) from across the United States by phone and asked them five questions about their current and projected open positions, along with the challenges they are facing. The biggest challenge reported, by far, is their aging workforce and ability to find qualified talent to hire. Companies are really concerned about future hiring for three big reasons: drain, dorms and diversity.
- Drain: Replacing the knowledge that the retiring talent is taking with them. Companies must decide not only on how they will replace these employees, but how to translate and identify the skill sets these employees had that are critical in today's insurance marketplace.
- Dorms: College recruiting, training programs and making the insurance business "cool" to talented young people considering career paths. Many insurance companies haven't been focused here for too long of a time period.
- Diversity: Many insurance companies indicated they have not been doing enough to get a diversified workforce over the years.
These are all very large concerns for the insurance industry, according to Scott Kotroba, President and CEO of GreatInsuranceJobs.com: "This survey was clear; companies know that filling key insurance positions now and in the future with the right people is going to be challenging. Ironically, the insurance industry is stable, has great career paths, great benefits, is almost recession proof, has all levels of workers and is usually very financially sound. Potential candidates should be flocking to the insurance industry. The work that needs to be done is to make careers in insurance more visible and accessible to the masses."
This annual survey also found the following:
- 40% of surveyed companies indicated that hiring would be better in 2013, compared to 31% in 2012.
- 96% of companies plan on hiring at least one person in 2013.
- 84% of companies currently have open jobs.
- 29% of companies are planning on hiring 51 or more employees in 2013.
- 8% of companies are planning on hiring 200 or more employees.
- The top six insurance jobs being recruited for are sales positions, call center, claims adjusters, account managers, customer service and IT.
For more on this survey, including a full listing of open jobs at the companies surveyed, download the entire whitepaper at greatinsurancejobs.com/whitepaper. Media interviews are available upon request.
GreatInsuranceJobs.com, LLC. is the premier online employment website for the Insurance Industry. Over 2,800 insurance employers utilize GreatInsuranceJobs.com to connect with monthly traffic of over 150,000 insurance professionals throughout the country. GreatInsuranceJobs.com delivers a highly targeted candidate audience with our #1 position for Insurance Jobs in all major search engines (Google, Yahoo, and Bing). www.GreatInsuranceJobs.com was founded by Scott Kotroba and Roger Lear in 2001. GIJ host the largest database of insurance talent in the country.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.