Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. Acquires $295 Million in Medical Office Buildings in 2012
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. (NYSE: HTA) ("HTA") announced today that for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2012, it had acquired $295 million of high quality, on-campus or affiliated medical office buildings ("MOB"). These acquisitions totaled over 1.3 million square feet and expanded the Company's asset base by more than 10%. These properties were acquired directly from local developers or health systems and are located in the key markets of Boston, Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Atlanta. They were over 99% occupied at closing and were acquired at unlevered yields in the mid 7% range.
This total also incorporates the Company's December 26, 2012 acquisition of an on-campus MOB in Dallas, Texas for approximately $27 million directly from the developer. The Dallas MOB was 100% leased at closing, with a leading physician-owned health system leasing the majority of the facility. The health system provides cutting edge treatment in high-end facilities located in key markets. The health system currently operates 2 hospitals and is developing 4 additional facilities throughout Texas.
"Our most recent acquisition allows us to expand in the attractive Dallas area, with a leading and fast growing health system focused on the private pay sector of the market," stated Chairman and CEO Scott D. Peters . "This acquisition brings to a close a successful 2012, in which we acquired $295 million of predominately on-campus MOBs, brought 70% of our portfolio under our property management platform, and successfully listed on the NYSE."
About Healthcare Trust of America, Inc.
Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. (NYSE: HTA), a publicly traded real estate investment trust, is a fully-integrated, leading owner of medical office buildings. HTA listed its shares on the New York Stock Exchange on June 6, 2012. HTA is a full-service real estate company focused on acquiring, owning and operating high-quality medical office buildings that are located on the campuses of nationally recognized healthcare systems in the major U.S. metropolitan areas. Since its formation in 2006, HTA has built a portfolio of properties that totals approximately $2.6 billion based on purchase price and is comprised of approximately 12.5 million square feet of gross leasable area located in 27 states, with regional offices in Scottsdale, Atlanta, Charleston, and Indianapolis.
For more information on Healthcare Trust of America, Inc., please visit www.htareit.com.
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, plans, estimates, assumptions and beliefs, including expectations, plans, estimates, assumptions and beliefs about HTA, stockholder value and earnings growth.
The forward-looking statements included in this press release are subject to numerous risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Assumptions relating to the foregoing involve judgments with respect to, among other things, future economic, competitive and market conditions and future business decisions, all of which are difficult or impossible to predict accurately and many of which are beyond HTA's control. Although HTA believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, HTA's actual results and performance could differ materially from those set forth in the forward-looking statements. Factors which could have a material adverse effect on HTA's operations and future prospects include, but are not limited to:
- changes in economic conditions affecting the healthcare property sector, the commercial real estate market and the credit market;
- competition for acquisition of medical office buildings and other facilities that serve the healthcare industry;
- economic fluctuations in certain states in which HTA's property investments are geographically concentrated;
- retention of HTA's senior management team;
- financial stability and solvency of HTA's tenants;
- supply and demand for operating properties in the market areas in which HTA operates;
- HTA's ability to acquire real properties, and to successfully operate those properties once acquired;
- changes in property taxes;
- legislative and regulatory changes, including changes to laws governing the taxation of REITs and changes to laws governing the healthcare industry;
- fluctuations in reimbursements from third party payors such as Medicare and Medicaid;
- delays in liquidating defaulted mortgage loan investments;
- changes in interest rates;
- the availability of capital and financing;
- restrictive covenants in HTA's credit facilities;
- changes in HTA's credit ratings;
- HTA's ability to remain qualified as a REIT; and
- The risk factors set forth in HTA's 2011 Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011 and its quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2012.
Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date made. Except as otherwise required by the federal securities laws, HTA undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect the events or circumstances arising after the date as of which they are made. As a result of these risks and uncertainties, readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on the forward-looking statements included in this press release or that may be made elsewhere from time to time by, or on behalf of, HTA.
SOURCE Healthcare Trust of America, Inc.
More by this Source
Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. to Participate in the World MoneyShow in Las Vegas, Nevada
May 10, 2013, 17:08 ET
Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. to Participate in the JMP Securities Research Conference
May 10, 2013, 17:07 ET
Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. to Attend NAREIT's REITWeek 2013
May 16, 2013, 17:56 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.