FRANKLIN, Tenn., April 11, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Insight Diagnostics, LLC a CAP accredited independent clinical reference laboratory, has just introduced a first-of-its-kind low cost, lab test that combines two widely used and often expensive lab tests - Definitive Urine Drug test (UDT) and pharmacogenetics (PGx) into a single test called GEMM™ – Genetically Enhanced Medication Monitoring.
Click here for a two-minute video.
Effective treatment for opioid abuse requires cost-effective and accurate definitive urine drug testing (UDT). GEMM significantly improves the diagnostic capabilities of physicians treating patients who are being prescribed opioids at a price 25-50% below the current market rate.
Other labs' UDT reports do not identify genetic abnormalities. This missing data can cause physicians to believe a patient is not taking their prescribed medication(s) when, in fact, un-metabolized medications may have actually built up to toxic levels in the patient's body. Some compliant patients have even been accused of illegally diverting (selling) their prescribed medications because their UDT report did not show evidence that a prescribed medication was present.
Up to 30% of current UDT lab reports are inaccurate because the corresponding patient population of poor or ultra-rapid metabolizers are genetically unable to effectively metabolize their prescribed medications.
According to David McCrea, Insight's CEO, "For nearly ten years, our team has developed and managed genetics and medication monitoring laboratories for clients across the U.S. Over the last two years, we have leveraged this experience to make GEMM the industry's lowest cost, most accurate and comprehensive medication monitoring solution."
- Genetically aligned medications are identified, eliminating the usual "trial and error" prescription process, to save millions of dollars currently wasted on ineffective and potentially toxic medications;
- Physician/patient relationships are improved when GEMM's report reveals that patients have taken their medications as prescribed, but are either ultra-rapid or poor metabolizers;
- Patient outcome/satisfaction are improved when the most effective "genetically aligned" medications are identified sooner;
- Patients whose genetics cause them to be poor, or ultra-rapid metabolizers of specific medications can be prescribed more appropriate opiates/pain medications, or other alternatives; and
- Most importantly, the risk of potentially deadly Adverse Drug Reactions (ADRs) is significantly reduced.
ALL of the above benefits are unique to GEMM™…
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/1st-genetically-enhanced-urine-drug-test-udt-targets-opioid-abuse-by-eliminating-opioid-prescription--treatment-errors-300438167.html
SOURCE Insight Diagnostics