NASSAU, Bahamas, Aug. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Official activities for the 58th Miss Universe pageant are underway in The Islands Of The Bahamas. Contestants from 85 countries will compete for the crown in a contest to be televised live Aug. 23 at 9:00 p.m. (EDT) on NBC and Telemundo.
Contestants began arriving in Nassau, capital of the islands-nation, just 55 miles off the east coast of Florida, on Aug. 2 and have been preparing for the event and touring the country. The Islands Of The Bahamas have celebrated the event with a special week of activities that have introduced the women to the people, culture and geography of the country. Events have included:
- Reception of Miss Universe Dayana Mendoza and the contestants at Government House in Nassau
- Tour of legendary Bimini for Miss Great Britain Clair Cooper, Miss Singapore Rachel Kum, Miss Puerto Rico Mayra Matos Perez and others along with sunbathing on the beach and dancing with local residents
- Picnic on Stocking Island beach on Exuma for Miss Costa Rica Jessica Umana, Miss Dominican Republic Ada Aimee De la Cruz, Miss New Zealand Katie Taylor and other contestants with conch salad from the famous Chat n Chill beachside restaurant
- Luncheon and tour of Great Abaco and stunning Treasure Cay beach with Miss Bahamas Kiara Sherman
- Swimsuit show with Miss USA Kristen Dalton, Miss Canada Mariana Valente, Miss Venezuela Stefania Fernandez and all other contestants on Grand Bahama Island
The action now returns to Nassau and the Atlantis, Paradise Island Resort as the contestants make final preparations for the competition. Several special events and viewing parties remain and tickets are still available. Visit www.bahamas.com for more information on events, locations and ticket prices.
Judith HoSang Anita Johnson-Patty Weber Shandwick Bahamas Ministry of Tourism (212) 445-8122 (954) 236-9292 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Editor's note: Photography from these events is available at www.bahamasmediacenter.com (please credit Derek Smith) and video including short interviews with Miss Great Britain, Miss USA, Miss Venezuela, etc. will be available at www.thenewsmarket.com.
SOURCE Bahamas Ministry of Tourism