To analyze the current state of device security, Duo analyzed more than two million devices, 63 percent of which were running Microsoft operating systems.
In its analysis, Duo also found:
- Nearly 62 percent of devices running IE have an old version of Flash installed potentially making them susceptible to compromise by an exploit kit containing code for Flash vulnerabilities.
- Ninety-eight percent of devices running IE have Java installed. Businesses have legacy and custom applications that rely on Java. Java remains a top target of attackers.
- Forty-two percent of all devices analyzed used Microsoft services, including Remote Desktop Protocol, Outlook Web Access, and Remote Desktop Gateway.
To protect against the vulnerabilities discussed here, Duo recommends:
- Switch to modern browser platforms that are more secure such as Edge or those that update more frequently and automatically, such as Google Chrome
- Run regular security updates as well as emergency patches
- Use device encryption, passwords and fingerprint ID
- Implement a two-factor authentication solution to protect systems and data
- Enable automatic updates for as much software as possible to make it easier for your users
- Disable Java and prevent Flash from running automatically on corporate devices, and enforce this on user-owned devices through endpoint access policies and controls
To protect environments from multiple attack vectors, Duo has taken a holistic approach to security. Its Trusted Access solution verifies the health of users' identities and the security health of their devices before granting access to authorized applications.
The 2016 Duo Trusted Access Report: Microsoft Edition can be found at duo.sc/microsoft-edition.
About Duo Security
Duo Security is a cloud-based trusted access provider protecting the world's fastest-growing companies and thousands of organizations worldwide, including Dresser-Rand Group, Etsy, NASA, Facebook, K-Swiss, Paramount Pictures, Random House, SuddenLink, Toyota, Twitter, Yelp, Zillow, and more. Duo Security's innovative and easy-to-use technology can be quickly deployed to protect users, data, and applications from breaches, credential theft and account takeover. Duo Security is backed by Benchmark, Google Ventures, Radar Partners, Redpoint Ventures and True Ventures. Try it for free at www.duo.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/65-of-windows-devices-are-running-a-seven-year-old-operating-system-300354722.html
SOURCE Duo Security