83 Percent Of Americans Say They Would Ditch Their Current Summer Travel Plans For A Good Deal, Reveals Latest Travel-Ticker.com Survey Survey findings point to flexibility in both purchase and travel times as a growing travel trend among Americans
SAN FRANCISCO, July 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sticking to one's first idea on vacation plans is becoming a thing of the past, according to the results of the 2012 Summer Traveler Intentions Survey, which is fielded annually by leading inspirational travel website Travel-Ticker.com. The poll, conducted in May 2012, asked the opinions of more than 2,000 U.S. consumers about their summer leisure travel intentions, and unearthed some surprising findings about Americans' willingness to be flexible when it comes to booking travel. The results indicated that while 87 percent of respondents currently plan on taking at least one vacation this summer, which is up from last year, the vast majority (83 percent) could easily be swayed to change their plans if presented with a deal that will save them money.
"Our annual survey has surfaced a growing trend of consumers willing to get up and go when a great deal strikes," said L. Jasmine Kim, general manager of Travel-Ticker.com. "That kind of flexibility can save a tremendous amount of money by allowing travelers to act on short-lead purchase bargains or to consider alternative destinations that deliver similar experiences at a fraction of the cost."
In addition to the stats above, the 2012 Summer Traveler Intentions Survey also found that almost half of people polled plan on taking multiple trips this summer and saving money is at the top of their minds. According to the poll:
- 72 percent of respondents are planning to be more flexible this summer when choosing vacation destinations and dates if it means they will save money
- 75 percent of respondents said that they are often inspired by travel deals and have a desire to book a great deal before it disappears
- 79 percent of respondents believe you can save money by booking travel on a whim
"Hotels and other travel services sporadically release fire sales and slash prices throughout the year, and even though the date window for using those deals is usually pretty big, the window for purchasing is small," said Kim. "At Travel-Ticker.com, we are in constant communication with our travel partners in order to flag these incredible deals for folks who are looking to book travel on a moment's notice so they can enjoy a spectacular and affordable trip."
For those travelers on the lookout for great deals this summer, the team of experts at Travel-Ticker.com has handpicked the following:
- Sample Deal: $890 off Antigua: all-inclusive beach trip w/air -- from $759*: All-inclusive, affordable Antigua. Get a flight and all-inclusive stay at the Jolly Beach Resort and Spa from $759* per person. Food, drinks (even alcoholic), and activities are included. Travel September 1-October 31. Why we love this deal: 4 nights of beachside relaxation and ocean views -- all yours for $890 less. Get a flight to Antigua and spend 4 nights in an oceanview room at the all-inclusive Jolly Beach Resort and Spa. This rate is based on a round-trip flight from Miami but there are many departure cities available.
- Sample Deal: Aruba: oceanview room at 4-star Westin resort -- from $159: Get Caribbean comfort and a complimentary upgrade. Westin Resort & Casino Aruba is 20% off, now-December 16. You'll stay in a 380-sq.-ft. oceanview room with a balcony, pillow-top mattress, and marble bathroom from $159. Why we love this deal: The 4-star Westin Resort & Casino Aruba, located in Palm Beach, is offering a complimentary upgrade to an oceanview room. Or upgrade to a meal plan with stays starting at $185 per person, per night, and get complimentary breakfast, lunch, and premium alcohol (3-night minimum based on double occupancy).
- Sample Deal: Brazil package: flight, 6 nights in Rio, and breakfast from $1,299: Sun, samba, steak -- and exclusive savings. Get a flight to Rio de Janeiro, 6 nights at a beachside hotel, and daily breakfast for as little as $1,299. All taxes and fees are included. Travel select dates, August 16-December 11.Why we love this deal: Put your dancing shoes on and samba your way to South America at a great price. Book this vacation package to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on your own, and you could pay up to $300 more.
- Sample Deal: Budapest, Vienna & Prague with air, hotels & train -- $1,299+: Central Europe's best with an exclusive $50 off. Get a flight, 2 nights each in Budapest, Vienna, and Prague, train travel, and breakfast from $1,299. Travel-Ticker readers get an exclusive $50 off. Travel November 1-March 20. Why we love this deal: The antique-filled markets, the cobblestone squares, and the incredible castles -- explore Central Europe's delights in one easy package.
- Sample Deal: Thailand: escorted tour with air, top hotels & meals -- $1,799+: Six cities in Thailand for one unbelievable price. Get a round-trip flight, an intercity flight, hotels (some even 4 and 5 stars), tours, transfers, and 14 meals from $1,799. Valid select dates, August 14, 2012-May 7, 2013. Why we love this deal: Go for the culture, the history, the beauty -- or because this Thailand deal is too good to miss. Get a flight from Los Angeles (other departure cities available), 13 nights at hotels in six cities, transfers, an intercity flight, 14 meals (13 breakfasts and 1 dinner), and tours.
The Travel-Ticker.com Traveler Intentions Survey was conducted online from May 18 until May 29 by Travel-Ticker.com users. More than 2,000 completed responses were received. More information on the survey is available upon request.
Travel-Ticker is an online inspirational travel website that is home to some of the best handpicked, insider deals at many of the world's favorite destinations. With an ear to the ground and an eye for the unique, Travel-Ticker's experts provide users with a geo-targeted platform and a weekly newsletter to browse for researched travel bargains, the latest travel trends, and editorial insight. Travel-Ticker is an independent business unit of The Hotwire Group. For more information, visit us at www.travel-ticker.com and join us on Twitter (@travel_ticker) and Facebook. In addition to Travel-Ticker, The Hotwire Group of websites includes: www.hotwire.com, www.travel-ticker.com and www.carrentals.com.
Travel Ticker and the Travel-Ticker logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotwire, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2012 Hotwire, Inc. All rights reserved. CST# 2053390-40