WASHINGTON, Aug. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- If you plan to move, planning ahead can save you time and money. Things like packing and finding a reliable moving company are just some of the ways you can avoid problems. And, depending on your situation, you may be able to deduct moving expenses from your federal tax return.
When you're ready to move, make sure to keep these tips in mind:
- Instead of packing what you don't use anymore, sell anything you don't need. You can also donate clothes or household items that are in good condition to charity.
- Use recycled packing boxes. Look for unused boxes at local stores or supermarkets. Save the boxes if you have a moving date ahead.
- Write on the box what it contains, for example: kitchen utensils, bathroom towels, tools, cosmetics, etc. This will make it easier to unpack in your new home.
- Use newspaper to wrap any fragile or delicate items.
Choosing a moving company
- Request written quotes from various moving companies so that you can compare rates and services.
- Make sure to pick a moving company that has a number with the U.S. Department of Transportation, known as U.S. DOT #, and check if the mover is properly registered.
- Make sure the company offers damage insurance.
- Check to see if the moving company has a history of complaints by calling your state or city's consumer protection office.
- Thoroughly read over all the terms in your contract, as well as any other documents related to your move, before signing.
Note: If you would like to register a complaint against a moving company, get in touch with the Department of Transportation at 1-888-368-7238, or file it online.
When filing your taxes
If your move this summer is work-related, you may be able to deduct moving expenses on your next federal income tax return if you meet certain requirements:
- You move close to the date you begin your new job.
- Your new workplace is at least 50 miles farther away from your previous home than your old job location was from that home.
- You work full-time for a specified amount of time after moving.