PHILADELPHIA, April 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Aberdeen Asset Management Inc. (Aberdeen), a wholly owned subsidiary of Aberdeen Asset Management PLC, a global asset manager of equities, fixed income and property, today announced that it has been recognized as Best Shareholder Relations by a Non-US Equity Fund Family in 2008 at the 8th Annual Closed-End Funds and Global ETF Forum. The event was organized by Capital Link on Wednesday, April 29, 2009, at the Metropolitan Club in New York City.
"At Aberdeen we are honored to be recognized by our peers for our commitment to shareholder communications, which we believe is essential to corporate governance," said Christian Pittard, President of Aberdeen's closed-end funds. "This award comes at an important time as we are preparing to welcome the shareholders of five Credit Suisse closed-end funds in a transaction that, pending shareholder approval, is expected to be completed July, 1, 2009."
The Funds are as follows:
- The Indonesia Fund
- The Emerging Markets Telecommunications Fund
- The Latin American Equity Fund
- The Chile Fund
- The First Israel Fund
Aberdeen currently manages or serves as sub-adviser to the following US closed-end funds:
- Aberdeen Asia-Pacific Income Fund, Inc.
- Aberdeen Australia Equity Fund, Inc.
- Aberdeen Global Income Fund, Inc.
- First Trust/ Aberdeen Global Opportunity Income Fund, Inc.
- First Trust/Aberdeen Emerging Opportunity Fund, Inc.
As previously announced earlier this year, Aberdeen Asset Management PLC entered into an agreement with Credit Suisse Group AG to acquire certain fund management assets and businesses subject to shareholder and certain regulatory approvals.
The Closed-End Fund (CEF) and Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) Awards are an initiative of Capital Link, a New York-based investor relations and financial communications firm with a strategic focus on CEFs and ETFs. The Awards aim to identify and recognize the fund sponsors and executives who consistently apply high standards of corporate governance, financial disclosure, investor relations and innovation.
The Awards are based on nominations by a committee of analysts and industry specialists who actively follow CEFs and ETFs. Capital Link is not part of the Nominating Committee. The Awards are presented within the context of the Annual Capital Link Forum on Closed-End Funds & Global ETFs. The 8th Annual Forum took place on Wednesday, April 29 in New York City. The Award was presented to Aberdeen by Mr. Dennis Emanuel, Managing Director of CEF & ETF Research of Citigroup, who is a member of the Nominating Committee.
Notes to editors
1. Aberdeen Asset Management Inc is the wholly-owned U.S. subsidiary of Aberdeen Asset Management PLC, a global investment management group managing more than $158 billion of assets for both institutions and private individuals as of Dec. 31, 2008. We know global markets from the local level, drawing on more than 1,700 employees across 24 offices in 20 countries. Our mission is to deliver superior performance across diverse asset classes in which we believe we have a sustainable competitive edge -- namely, equities, fixed income and property. In the United States, our Philadelphia offices are our hub and include fixed income and U.S. equity teams that manage over $33 billion of domestic investments as of Dec. 31, 2008.
2. Aberdeen Asset Management PLC is one of the largest managers of closed end funds (investment companies) in the UK. Globally the group manages over $9 billion of closed end fund assets with a shareholder base of over 100,000 as of Dec. 31, 2008.
3. Aberdeen Asset Management PLC is an international investment management group managing assets totaling $158.4 billion (euro 114.0 billion) as at 31 December 2008 for clients around the world. Since 1991, Aberdeen has been listed on the London Stock Exchange. The Group's principal areas of activity are equity, fixed income and property. To learn more about Aberdeen visit www.aberdeen-asset.com or http://www.25yearsofaberdeen.com
SOURCE Aberdeen Asset Management Inc.