Achieve High Performance and Low Power with Highly Integrated 11.3Gbps Ethernet Optical Transceiver IC for Data Centers Maxim Integrated's SFP+ optical transceiver enables < 0.8W total module power and integrates analog monitors for lower cost
SAN JOSE, Calif., March 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Engineers can now achieve high performance in optical modules with low power consumption using the highly integrated MAX3956 10GBASE-LR SFP+ optical transceiver IC from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM).
Optical module designers must typically trade high performance for power consumption in their applications. The MAX3956 SFP+ laser transceiver IC solves that problem. It delivers better than 50% transmit mask margin performance (1k waveforms, zero mask hits) with < 0.8W total SFP+ module power dissipation. This reduced power dissipation lowers operational expenditures (OPEX) and improves thermal reliability in data centers. Additionally, the device integrates highly accurate analog monitors for digital diagnostics monitoring (DDM), including temperature, VCC, and RSSI sensors, to ensure a compact design and save bill-of-material (BOM) cost. By integrating analog monitors and a 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), the MAX3956 enables the use of a low-cost, "all-digital" external microcontroller.
- High integration: integrates programmable transmit input equalization, receive output deemphasis, DDM, and highly accurate analog monitors (including temperature, VCC, and RSSI sensors) to reduce cost of external components
- Low power: the device's proprietary DC-coupled laser interface enables < 0.8W total SFP+ module power dissipation and 380mW IC power dissipation at 3.3V (typ)
- High performance: the MAX3956 results in 4.6psp-p deterministic jitter (receiver) and 5psp-p deterministic jitter (transmitter)
- "Designers always have a power/performance trade off in optical transceivers," said Stacey McKinney, Strategic Marketing Manager at Maxim Integrated. "Now, the MAX3956 SFP+ transceiver IC combines both low power and high performance with the optimal combination of features."
- "Demand for 10GBASE-LR modules is increasing with the proliferation of large data centers," said Dale Murray, Principal Analyst with LightCounting. "Low-power SFP+ optical transceivers are critical to data center operators as power consumption is becoming as critical as density."
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX3956 is available in a 5mm x 5mm, 32-pin TQFN-EP package.
- The device operates over the -40 degrees C to +95 degrees C temperature range.
- Contact factory for pricing.
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, our designs make the world more integrated. And with analog integration, the possibilities are endless. In Fiscal 2013, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.