WOBURN, Mass., Feb. 25, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the recent snowstorm that hit the Northeast, Addario's Plumbing Heating Cooling & Electrical, a leading HVAC and plumbing company serving Middlesex County since 1998, advises homeowners to take preventative measures on three main heating devices to protect and heat their home. These precautions will save Middlesex County residents hundreds of dollars in damage that might occur from improper maintenance and harsh conditions.
"The recent snowstorm took our area by surprise, leading to a lot of ill-prepared homes and heating systems," said Steven Addario Jr., founder and CEO of Addario's. "Furnace repairs average around $345 for homeowners each year. And with other repairs ranging from $1,000 to $2,000, it is crucial for residents to take the time to check each one of their heating units."
Addario's provides advice to monitor the three units each homeowner should check carefully – furnaces, water heaters and condensers:
Furnace Failure Prevention
- Monitor the inside temperature with a thermostat. If the heating does not rise when it is switched on, this may be the first sign of an issue.
- Changing the air filter in a furnace is something any professional service technician can do during a quick maintenance visit. This ensures that the air that is in a home is clean and not contaminated.
- Cleaning floor vents from dust, pet hair, and other small particles will help insulate the house and maximize a furnace's efficiency.
Water Heater Maintenance
- Set the thermostat to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Any higher or any less can increase the chance for potential damage.
- If a home has an older water heater, it important to insulate it with a fiberglass jacket to improve efficiency. A professional service technician can properly install this to avoid any additional complications or expenses. Newer systems are already insulated.
- Clearing the area around a water heater is always a good idea. By doing so, a gas fired united receives the proper amount of oxygen to burn the gas and will maximize its efficiency. In addition, if a water tank ever starts to leak, a homeowner will recognize faster if the area around it is open, and this will save from water damage and energy waster as the water heater has to reheat the water more frequently.
Condenser Failure Prevention
- Have a licensed service technician measure the low pressure and high pressure switch to evaluate its efficiency.
- Monitor temperature changes and make note for a professional should any problems that could potentially arise.
Though these preventive tips are essential for homeowners to check during the winter months, a professional can evaluate the condition of a home's heating system.
Trusted professional service technicians such as the experts at Addario's have helped numerous Middlesex County residents save on repairs and utility bills by preparing homes for freezing winters. For more information about winter protection tips, visit www.addarios.com.
About Addario's Plumbing Heating Cooling & Electrical
Addario's offers a wide array of services in the areas of heating and cooling, plumbing, drain cleaning, and electrical solutions, including 24-hour emergency assistance for more than 30,000 commercial and residential customers in the Massachusetts market. In addition, has expanded services for turnkey bathroom remodels and more. Family-owned and operated, Addario's was established by Steven Addario, Jr., in 1998. The company is recognized as the leading trusted choice as it is built upon customer satisfaction, reliability, safety, and ethical business practices. To learn more, visit www.addarios.com.