OTTAWA, Nov. 30, 2012 /CNW/ -
Three unauthorized health products -- "Man Up Now", "Black Ant", "Triple Power Zen Gold 1200mg"-- are being recalled by DVDXPRO after testing by Health Canada identified undeclared ingredients that may pose serious risks to the health of Canadians. These products are promoted for sexual enhancement and contain sildenafil and/or tadalafil, which is a prescription medication that should only be used under the supervision of a health care practitioner.
Who is affected:
Canadians using these products (Man Up Now, Black Ant and/or Triple Power Zen Gold 1200mg), particularly individuals with heart problems, those at risk of stroke, or those taking any nitrate drug (e.g. nitroglycerine). As of November 26, 2012, Health Canada has not received any adverse reactions reports associated with the use of these products.
What consumers should do:
What Health Canada is doing:
Health Canada is monitoring the voluntary recall by DVDXPRO Inc. The products were distributed to various retail locations in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta. It is important to note that these products may also be found at other retail locations and/or via the Internet.
Health Canada is working with the Canada Border Services Agency to stop further importation of these products.
Sildenafil and tadalafil are prescription medications that should only be used under the supervision of a health care practitioner. Products containing sildenafil or tadalafil should never be used by individuals taking any kind of nitrate drug (e.g. nitroglycerine) as they can cause potentially life-threatening low blood pressure.
Individuals with heart problems including high blood pressure, a history of heart attack, stroke, abnormal heart beat or chest pain are at higher risk of cardiovascular side-effects if they engage in sexual activity, including if they use sildenafil or tadalafil to help them achieve an erection. Other possible side-effects of using sildenafil or tadalafil include headache, facial flushing, indigestion, dizziness, abnormal vision and hearing loss.
For more information:
Consumers and health professionals wanting more information about this advisory from Health Canada can contact the Public Enquiries Line at 613-957-2991, or toll free at 1-866-225-0709.
Media enquiries related to this Advisory should be directed to Health Canada Media Relations at 613-957-2983.
How to report side effects to health products:
To report suspected adverse reaction to these or other health products, please contact Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or complete a Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and send to us using one of these methods:
- Fax: 1-866-678-6789
- Internet: www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect
- Mail: Canada Vigilance Program Marketed Health Products Directorate Ottawa, ON, Address Locator 0701E K1A 0K9
Related Health Canada Web content:
- Advisory (March 12, 2012): "Power-X" Removed from Sale at BC's Chong Kun Dang Health Store: May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2012/2012_33-eng.php)
- Advisory (February 23, 2012): "Seizure of Potentially Dangerous Products at Ontario's The Love Shop (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2012/2012_26-eng.php)
- Advisory (January 23, 2012): Unauthorized Products Removed from Sale at Additional Stores in Burnaby, B.C.
- Advisory (July 6, 2011): 14 Additional Unauthorized Health Products Tested: May Pose Serious Health Risks
- Advisory (July 4, 2011): "Man Up Now" Removed From Sale at Delta and Surrey Stores: May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians
- Advisory (June 14, 2011): Unauthorized Health Products Removed From Sale at Burnaby and Richmond Stores: May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians
- Advisory (July 13, 2010): Unapproved Health Product "UP Ultimate Performance For Men" May Pose Serious Health Risks
- Advisory (March 8, 2010): Unapproved Health Product, "POWER-MAX" May Pose Serious Health Risks
- Advisory (January 8, 2010) - Canadians Advised Not to use "Stiff Nights" or Any Unauthorized Product Promoted for Erectile Dysfunction
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using these social media tools: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/home-accueil/sm-ms/index-eng.php
SOURCE Health Canada