SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 23, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- AffordableSchools.net (http://affordableschools.net) -- a college rankings site centering on unique and affordable academic programs -- announced the release of its newest college rankings list, featuring 20 Affordable Online Bachelor's Degrees in Registered Nursing.
The top three schools on this AffordableSchools.net's rankings list are: (1) Indian River State College (Fort Pierce, Florida); (2) Texas A & M International University (Laredo, Texas); (3) Florida Gateway College (Lake City, Florida). The complete list of all 20 ranked U.S. colleges and universities, in alphabetical order, comprises:
* Brigham Young University-Idaho (Rexburg, Idaho)
* Darton State College (Albany, Georgia)
* Fayetteville State University (Fayetteville, North Carolina)
* Florida Gateway College (Lake City, Florida)
* Florida SouthWestern State College (Fort Myers, Florida)
* Georgia Highlands College (Rome, Georgia).
* Indian River State College (Fort Pierce, Florida)
* Indiana University-East (Richmond, Indiana)
* Indiana University-Northwest (Gary, Indiana)
* Northeastern State University (Tahlequah, Oklahoma)
* Northern Kentucky University (Highland Heights, Kentucky)
* Pasco-Hernando State College (New Port Richey, Florida)
* St. Petersburg College (Clearwater, Florida)
* Texas A & M International University (Laredo, Texas)
* University of Arkansas-Fort Smith (Fort Smith, Arkansas)
* University of Louisiana at Lafayette (Lafayette, Louisiana)
* University of Louisiana at Monroe (Monroe, Louisiana)
* University of Texas at El Paso (El Paso, Texas)
* University of Texas of the Permian Basin (Odessa, Texas)
* Winston-Salem State University (Winston-Salem, North Carolina)
"Nursing in the United States has been and continues to be an in-demand position," said the article's lead researcher, Raj Dash. "The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) predicts a 16 percent growth in job numbers for registered nurses, between 2014 and 2024. There are also national and international opportunities for American nurses who enjoy traveling and working combined, for short or even extended periods in other states and countries.
"While a bachelor's degree is not always a requirement for some nursing roles, it is a pathway for future career advancement. In fact, continuing education is highly important for many nurses, in some cases simply to maintain professional licensing, in others to prepare for advanced roles. This includes mid- or late-career occupations such as Nurse Anesthetist, Nurse Practitioner, etc., where master's or even doctorates in nursing are a minimum requirement.
"Nursing is a profession that is, generally speaking, highly supportive of constant learning, constant improvement of skills. An online bachelor's degree in nursing, such as a BSN, is an ideal way for a currently working nurse -- or even future nurse -- to gain skills and be qualified for advanced nursing roles and specialized careers. Prospective students who already have a diploma or associate's degree in nursing have options (as do those just starting in the discipline, who will take a slightly different academic path). Currently licensed nurses can seek out one of the 'degree completion' programs. These allow them to take additional credits online -- typically two years of study -- in order to gain a BS Nursing (BSN) or related bachelor's degree in nursing. This college rankings article in online bachelors-level nursing degree programs is a good place to start looking for suitable colleges."
Rankings for this list were compiled with data from NCES, a bureau of the Dept. of Education (http://nces.ed.gov/). We queried for institutions that grant bachelor's degrees in "Registered Nursing/Registered Nurse" on a distance education basis, then applied our standard data filters. This includes sorting data by increasing average annual net price, and manually selecting the 20 most affordable colleges with active online degree programs (BS, BSN, etc.) in this topic. Similar topical rankings are published at AffordableSchools (http://affordableschools.net) -- a college search and rankings site with a focus on affordable colleges and programs -- on a regular basis.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/affordableschoolsnet-releases-its-affordability-ranking-of-online-bachelors-level-registered-nursing-degrees-300316508.html