Ameren Shares 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility Report Digital publication discusses how Ameren balances community betterment, environmental stewardship and financial strength
ST. LOUIS, Jan. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Ameren Corporation (NYSE: AEE) has released its 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility Report, now available for download at www.ameren.com/csr as an interactive PDF or as an eBook for iPad.
The report addresses a range of topics, including:
- Reliability improvements to energy infrastructure. In 2012, electric distribution reliability was the best ever measured at Ameren Missouri and Ameren Illinois.
- Economic development and civic engagement efforts. The investments Ameren makes in critical energy infrastructure create and sustain jobs, build shareholder value and help attract new businesses to Missouri and Illinois.
- Commitments to employee safety, diversity and professional development. Again in 2013 Ameren was ranked a top 7 regional utility for diversity by Diversity Inc. magazine, and the company continues to be recognized as a premier military veteran supporting company.
- Environmental performance, energy efficiency and renewable power. From 1990 to 2012, Ameren dramatically reduced emissions of sulfur dioxide (by 83%) and nitrogen oxide (by 82%), despite a large increase in generation to meet growing energy needs. Ameren also significantly lowered its carbon dioxide emissions over the last five years.
- Regulation and corporate governance. Following the 2013 divestiture of substantially all of its merchant generation business, Ameren enters 2014 focused on its rate-regulated utilities.
While Ameren already makes public a variety of information regarding these topics, the company created the report to provide stakeholders with a transparent overview of its approach to community betterment, environmental stewardship and financial strength.
This is Ameren's second Corporate Social Responsibility Report; the first was released in 2011.
"Our first report established a great foundation for discussing Ameren's approach to sustainability, which involves carefully weighing our responsibilities to customers and communities, our workforce, the environment and shareholders. For our 2013 edition, we wanted to improve upon that foundation," said Thomas R. Voss, chairman, president and CEO of Ameren Corporation. "To conserve natural resources, we created a digital-only publication, which people can use to easily access the information most important to them."
In addition, the 2013 report identifies areas of success and areas for improvement, along with ways that customers and communities can participate in the company's ongoing sustainability efforts.
"The energy industry is complex, so we invite everyone to learn about the issues that can influence utilities and, ultimately, affect our customers," said Steve Kidwell, Vice President of Corporate Planning for Ameren Corporation. "Our Corporate Social Responsibility Report is a meaningful tool for understanding how Ameren strives to power the quality of life for our millions of customers."
St. Louis-based Ameren Corporation powers the quality of life for 2.4 million electric customers and more than 900,000 natural gas customers in a 64,000-square-mile area through its Ameren Missouri and Ameren Illinois rate-regulated utility subsidiaries. Ameren Illinois provides electric and natural gas delivery service while Ameren Missouri provides vertically integrated electric service, with generating capacity of 10,300 megawatts, and natural gas delivery service. Ameren Transmission of Illinois develops regional electric transmission projects. Follow the company on Twitter @AmerenCorp. For more information, visit Ameren.com.
SOURCE Ameren Corporation