As CDC Kicks Off National Influenza Vaccination Week, It Is More Important than Ever to Take Preventative Measures Against Cold & Flu
PARSIPPANY, N.J., Dec. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Today the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced the start of National Influenza Vaccination Week. While the week was designed to highlight the importance of flu vaccinations, it also brings to light the importance of taking additional steps to keep you and your family healthy during the peak cold and flu season of December, January and beyond.
"It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the information circulating around the topic of both seasonal and swine flu," said Dr. Laura Jana, pediatrician mother of three and owner of a daycare center. "Avoid panic by planning ahead and talking to your family about what you all can do to protect yourselves from illness."
Dr. Jana recommends the following tips to keep healthy this winter:
- Get Vaccinated - Understand the difference between and availability of the seasonal flu and H1N1 (Swine) vaccines and talk to your doctor about what's best for your family.
- Wash Hands Often and Properly - The CDC says hand washing is the most effective way to help stay healthy. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water ensuring all of the surfaces of the hands are cleaned. Once washed, dry your hands thoroughly with a clean dry towel. If soap and water are unavailable, use a hand sanitizer.
- Disinfect to Protect - Help prevent the spread of illness-causing germs by disinfecting the surfaces that your family frequently touches. Use a trusted disinfectant brand that is proven to kill cold & flu viruses, including H1N1.
- Cough and Sneeze Etiquette - Practice good cough and sneeze etiquette to prevent spreading germs to others. Cough into your elbow, rather than your hands, and sneeze into a tissue to minimize hand contact transmission of germs. Immediately throw away used tissues and wash your hands.
- Stay Home if You are Sick - If you or a family member feels unwell with flu-like symptoms (i.e., fever, fatigue and sore throat), stay home and rest. You will get over the illness faster and will not get those around you sick. Plan ahead for back-up childcare options if a parent is sick or unable to be home with the child.
The CDC and LYSOL® have partnered to create the Ounce of Prevention Kids web site (www.oopkids.com), which helps teach children about healthy hygiene habits, including good cough and sneeze etiquette, through fun games and exercises.
Many LYSOL® Disinfectant products, including LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray, LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes, LYSOL® All Purpose Cleaner Pourables and LYSOL® All Purpose Cleaner Triggers, are effective against strains of influenza A virus, and specifically the H1N1 strain.
To find more information and resources to help protect your family, visit:
- Hygiene Council http://www.hygienecouncil.com/swineflu/statement/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Ounce of Prevention initiative, created in partnership with LYSOL® www.cdc.gov/ounceofprevention
- Lysol Germ Protection Center http://lysol.com/germ-information-center/swineflu/
About LYSOL®/ Reckitt Benckiser, Inc.
Reckitt Benckiser is the world leader in household cleaning, (excluding laundry) and has a major presence in health and personal care. The Company is truly global, with over 60 operating companies and over 40 manufacturing facilities worldwide. With sales in 180 countries, the Company employs 22,000 people around the world. Among the Company's leading brands in household are Lysol, the world leader in disinfecting cleaning; Calgonit, Finish and Electrasol; the world leaders in automatic dishwashing; Woolite, world leader in fine fabrics; Vanish and Spray 'n Wash, world leaders in fabric treatment; Mucinex and Delsym, leaders in U.S. cold and cough; and Airwick and Mortein, both leading brands in air care and pest control, respectively. Reckitt Benckiser is headquartered in Slough just outside London and is listed on the London stock exchange. Its North American headquarters is in Parsippany, New Jersey, which is 30 miles West of New York City. With a market capitalization of $40 billion, Reckitt Benckiser ranks among the top 25 UK listed companies. Reckitt Benckiser has annual net revenues of $10 billion.
SOURCE Reckitt Benckiser
More by this Source
Air Wick® Launches New Collection in Support of the National Park Foundation
Apr 08, 2013, 09:09 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.