As World Health Organization Raises Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic Alert to Level Six, Hygiene Council Recommends Simple Steps to Help Protect Families from Illness
"For families around the world, this alert is not a reason for increased concern, but rather increased common sense," said Professor
- Avoid close contact with people who appear unwell with flu-like symptoms - i.e., fever, fatigue and sore throat.
- Practice good hand hygiene - wash your hands frequently with soap and water ensuring all of the surfaces of the hands are cleaned. Once washed, dry your hands thoroughly with a clean dry towel. If soap and water are unavailable use a hand sanitizer.
- Use a disinfectant to regularly disinfect commonly-touched surfaces, such as door handles, taps/faucets and light switches, to prevent germ spread.
- Practice good cough and sneeze etiquette to prevent spreading germs to others - i.e., cough into your elbow rather than your hands and sneeze into a tissue to minimize hand contact transmission of germs. Throw used tissues away immediately and wash your hands.
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes with your hands.
- If you feel unwell with flu-like symptoms, stay at home. Do not go to work and seek advice from your doctor or health authority via telephone.
Many LYSOL(R) Disinfectant products are effective against strains of influenza A virus and specifically the H1N1 strain, including LYSOL(R) Disinfectant Spray, LYSOL(R) Disinfecting Wipes, LYSOL(R) All Purpose Cleaner Pourables and LYSOL(R) All Purpose Cleaner Triggers.
To find more information and resources to help protect your family, visit:
- World Health Organization http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/
- Hygiene Council http://www.hygienecouncil.com/swineflu/statement/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Ounce of Prevention initiative, created in partnership with LYSOL(R) www.cdc.gov/ounceofprevention
- Germ Protection Center via the Visiting Nurse Associations of America http://vnaa.org/vnaa/g/?h=html/germ_protection_center_influenza
- LYSOL Germ Protection Center http://LYSOL.com/germ-information-center/swineflu/
About LYSOL(R)/ Reckitt Benckiser, Inc.
Reckitt Benckiser is the world leader in household cleaning, (excluding laundry) and has a major presence in health and personal care. The Company is truly global, with over 60 operating companies and over 40 manufacturing facilities worldwide. With sales in 180 countries, the Company employs 22,000 people around the world. Among the Company's leading brands in household are LYSOL, the world leader in disinfecting cleaning; Calgonit, Finish and Electrasol; the world leaders in automatic dishwashing; Woolite, world leader in fine fabrics; Vanish and Spray 'n Wash, world leaders in fabric treatment; Mucinex and Delsym, leaders in U.S. cold and cough; and Airwick and Mortein, both leading brands in air care and pest control, respectively. Reckitt Benckiser is headquartered in
SOURCE Reckitt Benckiser
More by this Source
RB Expanding Ingredient Transparency in the U.S.
Oct 22, 2013, 14:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.