ARLINGTON, Va., Aug. 4, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, American Trucking Associations released the latest edition of the leading almanac of trucking – ATA American Trucking Trends 2016 – showing the industry posted gains in employment, number of truck drivers and truck sales through 2015.
"In many ways, 2015 was a good year for our industry, and Trends clearly demonstrates that," said ATA President and CEO Chris Spear. "Trends provides indispensable information to trucking companies, industry suppliers, logistics providers, analysts, public policy decision makers, investors and many others. Information that is crucial to making sound decisions about the future."
"According to our data, trucking revenues topped $700 billion for a second straight year, setting an all-time record of $726.4 billion in 2015, while trucks moved more than 10 billion tons of freight," said ATA Chief Economist Bob Costello. "While the first half of 2016 has been challenging for the industry, trucking is coming off two very strong years and we are optimistic about the future."
Among the findings in this year's edition of Trends:
- Trucking collected $726.4 billion in gross freight revenues, 81.5% of the nation's freight bill in 2015.
- Trucks carried 10.49 tons of freight in 2015, accounting for 70.1% of domestic freight tonnage.
- In 2015, there were 3.63 million Class 8 trucks in operation.
Trends also includes data on:
- Amount of taxes the industry paid.
- The number of miles combination trucks traveled and the amount of fuel they consumed.
- Key employment data, including the number of persons working in trucking related jobs throughout all industries, number of drivers and how many women are truck drivers.
- Number of trucking companies by company size.
For more on Trends, watch Costello discuss the report here.
American Trucking Trends is available for purchase at www.atabusinesssolutions.com or by calling 866-821-3468.
American Trucking Associations is the largest national trade association for the trucking industry. Through a federation of 50 affiliated state trucking associations and industry-related conferences and councils, ATA is the voice of the industry America depends on most to move our nation's freight. Follow ATA on Twitter or on Facebook. Trucking Moves America Forward
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ata-releases-latest-edition-of-american-trucking-trends-300309250.html
SOURCE American Trucking Associations