AVIATION WEEK Program Excellence Awards Honor Top Aerospace and Defense Programs and Leadership Selected winners include contributors to military, security, and space programs
PHOENIX, Nov. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- AVIATION WEEK has named the winners and finalists of its sixth annual 2009 Program Excellence Awards, identifying 14 aerospace and defense (A&D) programs at BAE Systems, Boecore, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Rockwell Collins, and SpaceX as the leaders in their fields. The awards were announced at the AVIATION WEEK A&D Programs Conference in Phoenix, AZ on November 3.
"These awards recognize programs that excel based on value creation, adapting to complexity, and organizational processes and metrics," said Tom Henricks, president of AVIATION WEEK. "The leading programs this year address the challenging issues facing transportation, space exploration, security and defense at a time when programs and budgets are under intense scrutiny."
"The art of leadership is what differentiates 'okay' from 'good' from 'excellent,'" said Anthony L. Velocci, Jr., editor-in-chief of Aviation Week & Space Technology, as he addressed attendees of the Program Excellence Banquet. "The leaders of these top programs paid significant attention to controlling design configurations; managing risks, issues, and opportunities; and integrating a geographically and culturally dispersed supply team. We are pleased to present these awards to honor their game-changing leadership and ability to meet the challenges of increasingly complex programs."
The AVIATION WEEK Program Excellence evaluators considered more than 60 programs before selecting five winning programs and 14 finalists, as follows.
- Winner, Innovation Award - Space Exploration Technologies, Falcon First Flight Program, Brian Bjelde, Director, Production and Mission Management
- Winner, Sub-System Level Research & Development - BAE Systems, Electro-Magnetic Railgun Development Program, Amir Chaboki, Program Manager
- Winner, Sub-System Level Production & Sustainment - Raytheon Space & Airborne Systems, Advanced Targeting Forward-Looking Infrared Program, Roger Nordmeyer, Program Director
- Winner, System Level Research & Development - The Boeing Co., C-130 Avionics Modernization Program, Mark Angelo, Program Manager
- Winner, System Level Production & Sustainment - Northrop Grumman, Lunar CRater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) Program, Steve Carman, Project Leader
- Finalist, Sub-System Level Research & Development - Lockheed Martin, Sniper B-1 Laptop Controlled Targeting Pod Program, Kenneth Fuhr, Director, Bill Spangenberg, Program Manager, and Sean Quinn, Lead Systems Engineer
- Finalist, Sub-System Level Production & Sustainment - Boecore, Joint National Integration Center Research & Development Contract, Kathy Boe, President & CEO
- Finalist, Sub-System Level Production & Sustainment - Rockwell Collins, Special Operations Solutions, Scott Britten, Program Manager
- Finalist, System Level Research & Development - The Raytheon Co., Standard Missile 3 Program, Phillip Poehlman, Program Director
- Finalist, System Level Research & Development - The Raytheon Co., Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor System, Lucinda Fleury, Program Manager
- Finalist, System Level Research & Development - Northrop Grumman, Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures Program, Doug Allison, Program Manager
- Finalist, System Level Research & Development - Northrop Grumman, Airborne Signals Intelligence Payload Program, Sheila Van Groningen, Program Director
- Finalist, System Level Production & Sustainment - The Boeing Co., Wideband Global SATCOM Satellite Program, Mark Spiwak, Program Director
- Finalist, System Level Production & Sustainment - Lockheed Martin, Space Shuttle External Tank Program, Mark Bryant, Vice President
About AVIATION WEEK
AVIATION WEEK, a division of The McGraw-Hill Companies, is the largest multimedia information and services provider to the global aviation, aerospace and defense industries, and includes the publications Aviation Week & Space Technology, Defense Technology International, Business & Commercial Aviation, Overhaul & Maintenance, ShowNews, Aviation Daily, Aerospace Daily & Defense Report, and the World Aerospace Database. The group's website, http://www.aviationweek.com, offers the industry's most reliable news, information, search and online community tools. Premium content services include the Aviation Week Intelligence Network and MRO Prospector. The group also produces prominent conferences, exhibitions and management forums around the world.
About The McGraw-Hill Companies
Founded in 1888, The McGraw-Hill Companies (NYSE: MHP) is a leading global information services provider meeting worldwide needs in the financial services, education and business information markets through leading brands such as Standard & Poor's, McGraw-Hill Education, Platts, Capital IQ, J.D. Power and Associates, McGraw-Hill Construction and AVIATION WEEK. The Corporation has more than 280 offices in 40 countries. Sales in 2008 were $6.4 billion. Additional information is available at www.mcgraw-hill.com.
SOURCE AVIATION WEEK