Back to College with U-Haul? Money-Saving Tips You Won't Want to Miss
PHOENIX, Aug. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- U-Haul wants to help make heading to college, whether you are a first-time student or returning for another year on campus, exciting and hassle free. The do-it-yourself moving industry leader since 1945, knows the most cost-effective ways for students to move, and is always eager to pass on many savings to our customers. Below are money-saving tips that can help college students and all do-it-yourself movers save money and Make Moving Easier.
The three most important moving tips people should know when moving:
- Plan ahead. Make your reservations as far in advance as possible by visiting uhaul.com or call us at 1-800-GO-UHAUL.
- Pack your boxes "strategically." Choose a "packing room" ahead of time and box up a few things each day. Mark each box with its contents and destination room. Have all your boxes packed before you go to rent your truck. Load the heaviest items first, in front and on the floor. Pack items firmly and closely.
- The last thing you want is the expense of having your personal belongings damaged. Protect your items by using the proper moving supplies, such as U-Haul packing peanuts, which are 100 percent biodegradable, bubble wrap or U-Haul furniture pads made from recycled denim.
Suggestions for saving money, and quick tips for do-it-yourself movers:
- Save money on your rental by avoiding the weekend rush and especially trying to avoid the end of the month when apartment leases expire. Typically, Sunday through Thursday offers greater equipment availability, plus banks, utilities and government offices are open.
- Prior to your move, check out the U-Haul Online Packing Planner (uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/PackingPlanner.pdf) to help you determine the boxes you will need. Buy your boxes worry free – U-Haul has a 100 percent buyback guarantee on all boxes and moving supplies – so buy as many as you think you need—worry free.
- Drive safely and monitor the equipment while it is in your possession, just as you would your own personal vehicle.
- Parents...don't want your students to drive a U-Haul moving van? Then check out U-Box pods for moving and storage by visiting www.ubox.com.
- Take advantage of the U-Haul 30-day free-storage offer with every one-way move.
The most common mistakes people make when moving:
- Not planning ahead. Waiting until the last minute to reserve a truck or trailer.
- Not packing their boxes ahead of time.
- Not making arrangements at their destination for unloading help. Learn more by visiting www.movinghelp.com.
Suggestions and tips on securing your rental equipment:
- Always secure the back door of the moving van or trailer with a padlock.
- Always make sure your doors are locked.
- Always park your rental equipment legally and in a well-lit area.
- Back up your rental equipment as close as possible to a garage door, building or wall, and if you can, park another vehicle in front of the moving van.
- When parking your vehicle at a hotel, we recommend that you park your equipment close to entry doors and, again, try to park in a well-lit area, making sure the equipment is locked.
- When parking your vehicle at a restaurant, make sure the doors are locked, the back door of the moving van is locked and then park it where you can see it from the window.
- Prior to moving, look into your homeowner's insurance policy, as some policies will cover belongings while moving as long as the insurance policy is in force during the move.
U-Haul was founded by a Navy veteran who grew up during the Great Depression. Tires and gas were still rationed or in short supply during the late 1940s when U-Haul began serving U.S. customers. Today, that background is central to the U-Haul Sustainability Program: "Serving the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs." Our commitment to reduce, reuse and recycle includes fuel-efficient moving vans, neighborhood proximity, moving box reuse, moving pads made from discarded material and packing peanuts that are 100% biodegradable. Learn more about these facts and others at uhaul.com/sustainability.
Since 1945, U-Haul has been the choice for the do-it-yourself mover. U-Haul customers' patronage has enabled the Company to maintain the largest rental fleet in the do-it-yourself moving industry which includes trucks, trailers and towing devices. U-Haul also offers storage throughout North America. The Company provides industry leading moving and storage boxes and an extended line of packing supplies to protect customer possessions. U-Haul is the consumer's number one choice as the largest installer of permanent trailer hitches in the automotive aftermarket. The Company supplies alternative-fuel for vehicles and backyard grills as one of the nation's largest retailers of propane.
Joanne Fried , Director, Media and Public Relations
Ashleigh Wagner , Senior Media and Public Relations Specialist
U-Haul International, Inc.
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.