Be Covered Texas Campaign Passes 100 Partner Milestone; Launches Bilingual Educational Hotline for Consumers
RICHARDSON, Texas, July 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas announced that more than 100 community organizations across the state, including many Latino-focused organizations, have joined the Be Covered Texas educational campaign to help engage, educate and enroll the uninsured. Since its launch in March, the Be Covered Texas campaign has partnered with 112 organizations, and continues outreach to additional groups. Campaign partners include business organizations, civic groups, religious and faith-based organizations, health and wellness groups, community groups, educational groups, and physician organizations or clinics.
The Be Covered Texas campaign has launched a bilingual consumer education hotline: 1-866-427-7492. Consumers can call this toll-free number Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT for more information about the new federal health care law. The campaign also provides educational information through a bilingual website, materials and a text campaign.
In Texas, it is estimated that Latinos comprise of nearly half of those eligible for the premium tax credits to help cover the cost of health insurance. To reach them, Be Covered Texas is continuing to partner with Latino organizations to reach people through educational events and local communications and publications, including newsletters, emails and social media.
The Be Covered Texas online social media outlets have regularly been posting educational information and updates in both English and Spanish for followers, who currently total more than 7,700. Social media is particularly effective in reaching those described as "young invincibles" who are defined as healthy adults under 30 who may be less motivated to enroll in health insurance.
"The higher the enrollment this fall, the more successful the health insurance exchange will be – and it won't happen if we don't partner with influential and trusted community organizations to reach uninsured Latinos in Texas," Dr. Esteban Lopez, Regional President of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. "We are proud to be working with Latino organizations that reach thousands of people. Our momentum is growing, and we will continue to recruit new partners and participate in education events and communications across the state."
The Be Covered Texas campaign continues its efforts to build partnerships with community organizations that can help reach Texas' uninsured Latino population. Those organizations include, among others: Texas League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and 10 local LULAC chapters from San Antonio, McAllen, Temple and Houston (LULAC Councils 4208, 4483I, 4598, 4631, 4799, 4817, 4819, 4950, 4967 and LULAC Bombasta Dance), Caring for Children Foundation of Texas, Inc., The Concilio, Dia de la Mujer Latina, El Centro de Corazon, Ferguson Road Initiative, Houston National Hispanic institute, Las Comadres Para Las Americas, Memorial Assistance Ministries, Mexican Institute of Greater Houston, and Vecinos Unidos, Inc.
Be Covered Texas partners share the goal of increasing access to affordable health insurance through education and outreach, and are working with the campaign to provide educational materials to their constituencies.
- "LULAC is the largest and oldest Hispanic organization in the United States. We are committed to advancing the economic condition, educational attainment, political influence, health and civil rights of Hispanic Americans through community-based programs. Through our partnership with Be Covered Texas, we hope to educate our Texas members about their opportunity to obtain individual health coverage this fall," said Elia Mendoza, State President, LULAC Texas.
- "Having served the Greater Dallas area for the past 30 years, we are excited to join Be Covered Texas in our continued efforts to build stronger communities by empowering parents to improve the education and health of their children. Our partnership with Be Covered Texas will allow us to better educate those we serve about the new health care law and empower them to make informed decisions about the health insurance options available to them," said LaToya Stewart, MPH, Director of Community Health, The Concilio.
- "Parents Step Ahead believes that the participation of parents in the education of their children is vital for the success of our community. Our Mission is to recognize, educate, enable and empower parents to take a proactive role in the educational and personal development of their children. Partnering with Be Covered Texas will extend our reach and grant us the platform necessary to educate our community on the opportunities available under the new health care law," said Edgar D. Maldonado, Programs & Communications Coordinator, Padres Un Paso Adelante (Parents Step Ahead).
- "We are excited to add Be Covered Texas to our community of partners. The bilingual materials Be Covered provides will be an excellent resource for our Health Fiesta," said Venus Gines, CEO/Founder, Dia De la Mujer Latina.
- "El Centro is at the heart of making the East End a healthy community, through quality care that reaches the entire family, treating the whole person. We are proud to partner with Be Covered Texas to help uninsured Texans get the information they need about the new health insurance options available to them in 2014," said Marcie Mir, Chief Development Officer, El Centro de Corazon.
Be Covered Texas has ongoing outreach efforts underway and will continue to create partnerships with community and civic groups. Organizations interested in partnering can visit BeCoveredTexas.org for more information about the new federal health care law. A full list of partners can be found at BeCoveredTexas.org.
About Be Covered Texas
Be Covered Texas is a campaign focused on helping uninsured Texans understand how the new health care law impacts them and what steps they need to take to gain access to individual health insurance. The campaign will work with community partners to provide user-friendly information and on-the-ground guidance with the ultimate goal of helping Texans Be Covered. The campaign is fully funded by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. To receive alerts from the Be Covered Texas campaign text 33633 with the word JOINTX for English updates or UNIRTX for Spanish updates.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) – the only statewide, customer-owned health insurer in Texas – is the largest provider of health benefits in the state, working with nearly 80,000 physicians and 500 hospitals to serve 4.8 million members in all 254 counties. It has also been ranked "Highest Member Satisfaction among Commercial Health Plans in Texas" for three years in a row by J.D. Power and Associates. BCBSTX is a Division of Health Care Service Corporation (which operates Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans in Texas, Illinois, Oklahoma and New Mexico), the country's largest customer-owned health insurer and fourth largest health insurer overall. Health Care Service Corporation is a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
SOURCE Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.