SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt., April 3, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- On April 4, 2017, Ben & Jerry's will thank its dedicated fans with free scoops of euphoric ice cream flavors, chock full of chunks and swirls.
This much-anticipated "holiday" was established in 1979 when Ben & Jerry's marked its first year in business by giving out free scoops to customers in Burlington, Vermont, where the company was founded. Ben & Jerry's realized then that business has an opportunity, and a responsibility, to give back to the community. Today that community stretches across the globe; more than one million scoops will be given away worldwide on Free Cone Day. Fans will be able to choose a classic favorite like Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, or try something entirely new.
"Our customers are incredibly loyal and share our values on important issues like marriage equality, climate change, and racial justice," said Ben & Jerry's CEO Jostein Solheim. "Through the power of ice cream, we are able to form strong connections and create positive social change together. Free Cone Day is one way we show our fans how much we appreciate them."
Ben & Jerry's has developed a Line Survival Guide to help fans pass the time in line and get the most of Free Cone Day:
- Try again (and again, and again!) You're welcome to get in line as many times as you'd like. Once you've chosen your cup or cone, go straight back to the end of the line. Often, that first scoop is finished by the time you reach the counter again. Rinse and repeat.
- Experience something new. As Bogie might say, you'll always have Paris, and Cherry Garcia. Free Cone Day is a great time to move out of your ice cream comfort zone.
- Proceed from light to dark. Some people approach Free Cone Day like a wine tasting, going from the more delicate notes of vanilla to the satisfying mouthfeel of chunk-filled Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Release your inner ice cream sommelier.
- Think of your neighbors. Many Scoop Shops partner with community groups on Free Cone Day to raise awareness and funds. You can eat something good AND do something good at the same time.
- Feel good about feeling full. Between values-led sourcing and linked prosperity, every Ben & Jerry's flavor pays it forward—helping farmers, communities and the environment.
- Above all, have fun! Invite your friends, spread the word, and create a pop-up party. After all, if it's not fun, why do it?
To find a participating Scoop Shop near you, visit www.benjerry.com.
About Ben & Jerry's
As an aspiring social justice company, Ben & Jerry's believes in a greater calling than simply making a profit for selling its goods. The company produces a wide variety of super-premium ice cream, yogurt and sorbet using high-quality ingredients. Ben & Jerry's incorporates its vision of Linked Prosperity into its business practices in a number of ways including a focus on values-led sourcing. In 2015 the company completed its transition to using entirely non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) ingredients by source as well as to fully source Fairtrade-certified ingredients wherever possible, which benefits farmers in developing countries. Ben and Jerry's products are distributed in 35 countries in supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, franchise Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shops, restaurants and other venues. Ben & Jerry's, a Vermont corporation and wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever, operates its business on a three-part Mission Statement emphasizing product quality, economic reward and a commitment to the community. Ben & Jerry's became a certified B Corp (Benefit Corporation) in 2012. The Ben & Jerry's Foundation's employee-led grant programs totaled $2.5MM in 2016 to support economic and social justice, environmental restoration, and peace through understanding. For the inside scoop on Ben & Jerry's visit www.benjerry.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ben--jerrys-celebrates-its-fans-with-free-cone-day-april-4-300429667.html
SOURCE Ben & Jerry's