Black Duck Software Reports Record First Quarter Results
Success Fueled by Robust Sales, Software Enhancements, Acquisition and Partnerships, Recognition of Innovative Services
WALTHAM, Mass., April 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The first three months of 2011 marked exceptional growth for Black Duck Software, the leading global provider of products and services for accelerating software development through the managed use of open source software. Black Duck's sales grew by 51 percent, marking the company's second largest quarter in its history. Strong growth in all segments and geographies, particularly in Asia Pacific, drove Black Duck's stellar performance – including the addition of 53 new customers.
Black Duck also saw a dramatic increase in large technology companies requiring that their software supply chains implement management and controls around the use and re-use of open source software. This increase structurally reduces Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) governance overhead and associated risks by shifting the responsibility to suppliers. This increase is also an indicator of how awareness of FOSS benefits for software development has exploded in the last 12-18 months. This trend, particularly prevalent in Asia, is driven by the adoption of open source software in mobile and other electronics and embedded devices.
First quarter 2011 milestones included:
- Black Duck acquired Olliance Group, the leading open source business and strategy consulting firm headed by Andrew Aitken. In addition to serving as General Manager of this independent business unit, Aitken organizes and manages Open Source Think Tank, the industry's premier event where thought leaders from around the world gather to discuss the future of commercial open source.
- Black Duck launched the Black Duck Suite 6, the company's enterprise-class management and governance platform that increases developer productivity and speeds results by up to 10 times. The Black Duck Suite 6 enables organizations with up to thousands of developers and terabytes of code to realize the compelling benefits of FOSS use in development, while mitigating the challenges and complexity associated with enterprise-scale multisource development.
- Black Duck launched Android Fast Start, a bundled software and service offering designed to help Android developers automate and ensure compliance, as well as simplify the operational challenges of managing Android projects. Android Fast Start saves months of ramp-up time, provides on-going cost and time savings with timely updates for future Android releases and enables development organizations to ship quickly and with confidence, knowing they are in compliance with company policies and legal obligations.
- Black Duck announced a partnership with SQS AG to deliver open source governance solutions in the Nordic Region. SQS will offer products and services for open source governance and management centered on the Black Duck Suite.
- The addition of 53 new customers in markets such as mobile, enterprise software, telecom equipment, biotechnology and online communications tools.
- Black Duck named a finalist in the SBANE (Smaller Business Association of New England) Innovation Awards, which recognize technology-driven enterprises who are potentially "game changers" in their markets. Black Duck is among 20 finalists selected out of 185 companies nominated for the award.
"Enterprises are adopting FOSS at a rapid pace and want to be able to control and manage their software supply chain, especially companies involved with development for the Android platform," said Tim Yeaton, Black Duck Software President and CEO. "The first quarter has seen significant gains for Black Duck, and based on this activity, we believe that more than ever before, businesses recognize the need to manage their open source activities to accelerate innovation and improve competitiveness."
About Black Duck Software
Black Duck Software is the leading provider of strategy, products and services for automating the management, governance and secure use of free and open source software (FOSS), at enterprise scale, in a multi-source development process. Black Duck® powers Koders.com, the industry's leading code search engine for open source; Ohloh.net, the largest FOSS community and free public directory of open source, and The Olliance Group, the leading open source business and strategy consulting firm. Among the 400 largest software companies in the world, according to Softwaremag.com, the company is headquartered near Boston and has offices in San Mateo, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Beijing. For more information, visit www.blackducksoftware.com.
Black Duck, Know Your Code and the Black Duck logo are registered trademarks of Black Duck Software, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. Koders is a trademark of Black Duck Software, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective holders.
SOURCE Black Duck Software
More by this Source
Open Source Mobile Project Growth Continues to Gain Momentum
May 23, 2013, 09:05 ET
Black Duck Reports Record-Breaking First Quarter
Apr 23, 2013, 09:05 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.