CHICAGO, June 24, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) is providing the American Red Cross with $5,000 to support the needs of people living in areas damaged by numerous tornadoes. The insurer is also offering assistance to members who may need additional support.
A severe storm spawned at least four, possibly six, tornadoes statewide on June 22nd, causing damage in portions of Lee, LaSalle and DeKalb counties. A tornado near Pontiac had estimated peak winds of up to 125 mph.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois extends its heartfelt thoughts to communities impacted by this natural disaster. BCBSIL is also working to expedite member services, including early prescription refills and other time-sensitive needs, such as replacing lost member cards.
Jill Wolowitz, BCBSIL's Vice President of Government Relations and Community Affairs explained, "We're here to aid members who live, work or travel through the communities impacted by yesterday's severe weather. We want to do whatever we can do ease concerns about their health care coverage."
BCBSIL is prepared to help these members:
- Clarify benefits
- Locate a network doctor, hospital or dialysis center
- Refill prescription medications early
- Ensure transition of care or continuity of care needs are met
Important Phone Numbers
If you do not have your member ID card, here is how you can get in touch with us:
- Customer Service for all group plan policyholders: 800-541-2768
- Customer Service for individual/family policyholder: 800-538-8833
- Customer Service for Medicare Supplement policyholders: 800-624-1723
- National BlueCard® access: 800-810-BLUE (2583)
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/blue-cross-and-blue-shield-of-illinois-responds-to-illinois-tornado-damage-300289948.html
SOURCE Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois