GLENDALE, Calif., April 11, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- California Credit Union has awarded 10 scholarships of $1,000 each to college-bound students in Los Angeles County through its annual College Scholarship Program. Through the program, California Credit Union recognizes exceptional students throughout the greater Los Angeles area who are active in both their schools and the communities, giving back to others through service and volunteer work.
The 2017 California Credit Union scholarship recipients are:
- Claudia Alvarado / Bell Senior High School / Los Angeles Unified School District
- Juan Barajas / Hawthorne Math and Science Academy / Hawthorne Unified School District
- Alyssa Espinoza / Warren High School / Downey Unified School District
- Tamela Harris / Narbonne High School / Los Angeles Unified School District
- Devin Lewis / Golden Valley High School / William S. Hart Union High School District
- Casey Longstreet / Palisades Charter High School / Los Angeles Unified School District
- Caleigh Paster / John Burroughs High School / Burbank Unified School District
- Kimberly Reynaga / Montebello High School / Montebello Unified School District
- Gurbir Singh / Granada Hills Charter High School / Los Angeles Unified School District
- Michael Young / View Park Prep Accelerated Charter High School / Los Angeles Unified School District
"We were excited to see so many promising students participate in our program this year, and hope these scholarships will make the road to a college education just a little bit easier," said California Credit Union CEO Steve O'Connell. "We are proud to recognize these students not just for their hard work in school, but also for their commitment to supporting their local communities. We wish all these inspiring students the very best of luck in their future education, and look forward to expanding the program to the San Diego area next year."
College-bound high school seniors, community college students transferring to a four-year university, and adult students returning to college who maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and plan to attend an accredited college or university in the coming year are eligible to participate. Selection criteria included academic performance, school or community involvement, a letter of recommendation, and an essay submission. This year, California Credit Union's Scholarship Program received over 425 applications, which were reviewed by a Scholarship Committee consisting of credit union staff who selected the award recipients.
Since the creation of the Scholarship Program in 2005, California Credit Union has awarded more than $275,000 to Los Angeles area students. California Credit Union will begin accepting applications for next year's program in January, 2018.
About California Credit Union
California Credit Union is a federally insured, state chartered credit union founded in 1933 that serves public or private school employees, community members and businesses across California. With more than 165,000 members and assets of $2.8 billion, California Credit Union has 24 branches throughout Los Angeles and San Diego counties. The credit union operates in San Diego County as North Island Credit Union, a division of California Credit Union. California Credit Union offers a full suite of consumer, business and investment products and services, including comprehensive consumer checking and loan options, personalized financial planning, business banking, and leading-edge online and mobile banking. Please visit CaliforniaCU.org for more information.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/california-credit-union-awards-10-scholarships-to-los-angeles-county-students-300438285.html
SOURCE California Credit Union