Calling All Pork Lovers: Share Your Love for the Star of the Plate - Pork! Join the National Pork Board in declaring your #PorkLUV in order to help donate meals
DES MOINES, Iowa, Feb. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- From fall-off-the-bone spare ribs to a simple pork stew, juicy, tender pork is a versatile favorite, and it's no surprise that it has captured the hearts of people across America. No matter what cut or pork recipe makes your heart happy, when you love something, you want to share it – and that's why the National Pork Board is inspiring fans nationwide to share their #PorkLUV online for a chance to give back.
From now through March 7, pork fans who share their #PorkLUV will be helping their state compete for a food bank donation of 30,000 meals of fresh pork. The state that shares the most #PorkLUV will receive the pork, divided amongst food banks throughout the state. In addition to supporting a local cause, everyone who shares a little love will receive a $1-off fresh pork coupon1.
"America loves pork, and they're passionate about that love. It's no surprise that pork was named the star protein of 20142," said Pamela Johnson, Director of Consumer Communications for the National Pork Board. "#PorkLUV is all about giving our fans a chance to declare their passion and share it among friends and family – all in the name of a great cause."
- Click "Share your #PorkLUV"
- Select your favorite pork cut
- "Share" the love to add your #PorkLUV to the interactive map
In addition to unlocking the $1-off fresh pork coupon, your share will populate the #PorkLUV map, an interactive way to see how your state is stacking up in its shares. Once you've shared your #PorkLUV with us spread the word using the hashtag #PorkLUV on Twitter.
Find Your #PorkLUV
You may already have a go-to pork recipe you hold near and dear, but every fan needs a little inspiration to keep the #PorkLUV burning hot. Check out these new hearty and warm recipes for cold winter nights to add to your list of favorites:
- Honey-Ginger Pork with Carrots and Apples – Pork tenderloin meets the U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines for "extra lean," so this flavor-packed lean, heart-healthy pork tenderloin dish will satisfy any pork craving with zero guilt – perfect for American Heart Month.
- Slow-Cooker Root Beer Ribs – Sweet and spicy St. Louis-style spare ribs are as tender as they are delicious, and so simple to prepare. You'll love them even more when paired with a sweet slaw.
- Chipotle Pork and Pepper Stew – This spicy and flavorful stew is easy to personalize to your palate. Add heat with more chipotles, try different colored peppers or beans and garnish with sour cream or avocado.
- Pork Chop and Waffle Sandwiches with Maple Gravy – Ideal for any time of day, this sweet and savory sandwich pairs two pork favorites - bacon and chops. For the perfect bite, don't forget to cook your chop like a steak - until a digital thermometer reads an internal temperature between 145 degrees F. (medium rare), followed by a three-minute rest and 160 degrees F. (medium).
For even more inspiration, be sure to share and check out the #PorkLUV on Facebook, Twitter, and our Pinterest page. And fall in love with thousands of recipes for juicy, tender and flavorful pork at PorkBeinspired.com.
About the National Pork Board
The National Pork Board has responsibility for Checkoff-funded research, promotion and consumer information projects and for communicating with pork producers and the public. Through a legislative national Pork Checkoff, pork producers invest $0.40 for each $100 value of hogs sold. Importers of pork products contribute a like amount, based on a formula. The Pork Checkoff funds national and state programs in advertising, consumer information, retail and foodservice marketing, export market promotion, production improvement, technology, swine health, pork safety and environmental management. For information on Checkoff-funded programs, pork producers can call the Pork Checkoff Service Center at (800) 456-7675 or check the Internet at www.pork.org.
1 No purchase necessary. Ends March 7, 2014, or when supplies are exhausted, whichever occurs first. Offer open only to legal residents of the 50 US & DC, 18 or older. Void where prohibited by law. Offered by the National Pork Board.
2 Technomic's Take: 10 Trends for 2014; available from https://www.technomic.com/Pressroom/Releases/dynRelease_Detail.php?rUID=262
Caption: The National Pork Board is encouraging Americans to share their #PorkLUV – and there's no better way to spread the love than with a flower with some real power; a bacon rose. Check out the "A Rose for Your Bros" video which celebrates bromances - the perfect reason for a bacon bouquet.
SOURCE National Pork Board