Campaign to Save TSN Radio 690 Begins Today
- TSN Radio 690's many Montreal supporters can now sign a petition at SaveTSN690.ca -
To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/ZfNw3C
MONTREAL, March 6, 2013 /CNW/ - TSN Radio 690 in Montreal officially began its campaign today to retain its status as an English-language, all-sports radio station. After an impressive response from sports fans in Montreal who passionately voiced their support, parent company Bell Media has filed an application with the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to keep TSN Radio 690 as it is.
Beginning today, listeners can help save TSN Radio 690 by signing a petition and/or writing to the CRTC at a newly launched website, SaveTSN690.ca.
Bell Media had earlier proposed to convert the station to a French-language RDS sports station to meet the CRTC's radio ownership policy, which led to an outpouring of community support to preserve TSN Radio 690 in its present English-language format. As a result, the company is now requesting to operate four English-language stations (two AM and two FM) in Montreal - one more than what is generally permitted under CRTC rules. This exception will allow Bell Media to continue to own and operate TSN Radio 690 and maintain its current format as an English-language, all-sports radio station.
"We filed this application on behalf of the thousands of loyal sports fans in Montreal who passionately articulated how TSN Radio 690 and English all-sports radio coverage remains such a valued service to the community," said Wayne Bews, General Manager, TSN Radio 690 Montreal. "All of us at the station were overwhelmed and humbled by the support of Montreal sports fans last summer. We are asking our listeners to rally once again and join the drive to save TSN Radio 690 and ensure the English all-sports format remains a vibrant part of the Montreal sports scene."
As part of the request for an exception to the CRTC's common ownership policy for radio, made public today, Bell Media has confirmed the following:
- Bell Media would continue to own and operate TSN Radio 690 - and maintain its current English all-sports format for at least the next seven years
- English-language radio coverage of Montreal Canadiens games will continue to be broadcast in the greater Montreal area on TSN Radio 690 for the duration of its current broadcast agreement with the team
- TSN Radio 690 will contribute $245,000 over the next seven years to sports journalism scholarships at Concordia University and to amateur sports in Montreal
- The exception will have no adverse effects on other radio stations in the market or on the entry of new competitors
About TSN Radio 690 Montreal
TSN Radio 690 is Montreal's English-language all-sports station. As the official home of the Montreal Canadiens, the station broadcasts every Habs game live on AM 690 in Montreal and nationally online at TSN.ca/Montreal. Along with wall-to-wall coverage of the Canadiens, TSN Radio 690 delivers in-depth coverage of all Montreal sports teams, including the Alouettes and the Impact. Led by Elliott Price, Ted Bird, and Shaun Starr in the morning, Tony Marinaro in the mid-morning, and Mitch Melnick in the afternoon, TSN Radio 690 delivers an all-star line-up of local coverage. The station was launched in 2001 under its original name Team Radio. It was rebranded to TSN Radio in October 2011 and moved to AM 690 in September 2012 to improve the station's reception for fans.