OTTAWA, Feb. 7, 2013 /CNW/ - With Team Canada and Canadian fans looking forward with great anticipation to Sochi, the Canadian Paralympic Committee (CPC) is now accepting applications for press accreditation from Canadian print and internet media for the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games.
The dates of the Paralympic Winter Games are March 7 to 16, 2014. Canada is aiming for a top-three finish in the gold medal count and expects to field a highly-competitive team of about 50 athletes competing in five sports: sledge hockey, wheelchair curling, biathlon, para-Nordic skiing and para-alpine skiing - including para-snowboard, making its Games debut in Sochi.
Canadian media are invited to fill out the Press Organization Registration form available here: https://www.paralympic.ca/images/SOCHI_ACCREDITATION_Press_Registration_Inscription_de_presse.xls and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2013.
Please note that this is the only process for Canadian print and internet media to apply for accreditation for the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Games.
The following categories of accreditation will be managed by the CPC for the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Games:
"E": Written Press - journalist, editor, photographic editor employed or
contracted by a world news agency, a national agency, a general daily
newspaper, a sports daily, a sports magazine or sports internet site, a
periodical or independent/freelance journalist under contract
"EP": Photographer - meeting the same criteria as those defined for
- "ET": Technician - i.e. computer, electrician, lab personnel, technical staff - working for a media organization.
The CPC expects to complete the allocation of print, photographer and technical media accreditations by May 1, 2013 and will notify all applicants upon completion.
"ENR," non rights-holding broadcast (radio and/or television) organizations, must apply through the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) by contacting Media Operations Manager Eva Werthmann at email@example.com. The deadline for ENRs to show their interest in covering the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Games is March 29, 2013.
Sochi 2014 manages the accreditation process for rights-holding
About the Canadian Paralympic Committee
The Canadian Paralympic Committee is a non-profit, private organization with 46 member sports organizations dedicated to strengthening the Paralympic movement. The Canadian Paralympic Committee's vision is to be the world's leading Paralympic nation. Its mission is to lead the development of a sustainable Paralympic sport system in Canada to enable athletes to reach the podium at the Paralympic Games. By supporting Canadian Paralympic athletes and promoting their success, the Canadian Paralympic Committee inspires all Canadians with a disability to get involved in sport through programs delivered by its member organizations. For more information, visit www.paralympic.ca.
About Team Canada and the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games
CHEF DE MISSION
- Canada's Chef de Mission is Ozzie Sawicki, an accomplished coach and sport leader. Ozzie has experience at four previous Paralympic Games and was the Head Coach for Para-Alpine at the 2002 Salt Lake City Paralympic Games, where his squad won 12 of the total 15 medals won by Team Canada at those Games.
- Building on the great success of the Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games, Canada is looking to continue its winning ways at future Games. The Canadian Paralympic Team is aiming to finish in the top three nations at the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games, based on gold medal count. This goal was established in collaboration with Own the Podium, Sport Canada and winter National Sport Organizations.
- At the Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games, Team Canada placed third in the gold medal count, winning 19 medals: 10 gold, five silver and four bronze.
SOCHI TEST EVENTS
Sochi will host the World Wheelchair Curling Championship Feb. 16-23,
Paralympic test events will take place in Sochi in March 2013 for
para-alpine skiing, para-snowboard, biathlon and para-Nordic skiing.
- Sledge hockey's test event in Sochi is scheduled for August/September 2013.
2013 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
The 2013 IPC Nordic Skiing World Championships in para-Nordic skiing and
biathlon will be staged in Sollefteå, Sweden from February 25 to March
The 2013 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships will be staged in La
Molina, Spain from February 17 to 28.
- In sledge hockey, the A Pool World Championships will draw the top eight teams in Goyang, Korea from April 12 to 20, with the top five finishers qualifying directly for the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games.
- The Canadian Paralympic Team for Sochi will be finalized and announced in February 2014.
SOURCE Canadian Paralympic Committee (CPC)