Cap'n Crunch Celebrates 50-Year Career in the Cereal Business
No Signs of Retirement on the Horizon
CHICAGO, Oct. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Despite the fact that typical American employees stay at the same job for a median of 4.6 years, Cap'n Horatio Magellan Crunch (commonly known as "Cap'n Crunch") has far surpassed the average tenure and successfully achieved 50 years with his namesake cereal brand. Cap'n Crunch is nowhere near water-logged in his current role and continues to forge an impressive legacy.
Cap'n Crunch chalks his oceanic career up to his willingness to go beyond the cereal box. Through smooth sailing and choppy waters, his storied accomplishments include:
- Deftly defending his ship with swift swordplay against the barefoot pirate, Jean LaFoote, and his gang of Soggies
- Navigating labor disputes over employing a crew of young misfits aboard the S.S. Guppy
- Seamlessly traversing international Milk Sea waters in the 1960's under the pseudonyms "Capitaine Crouche" in Canada and "Katajn Knas" in Scandinavia
- Adding Crunch Berries to the original cereal in 1967 for a fruity new taste that is still in high demand today. In 2012 alone, 34.9 billion Crunch Berries were consumed
"After half a century with the brand, my original 1963 tagline still holds true – 'I stay crunchy, even in milk,'" says Cap'n Crunch about his relentless energy and enthusiasm for the gig. "The spotlight keeps me young…like a mustachioed baby."
Cap'n Crunch is savoring his best year yet in 2013 and recently captivated the nation by:
- Asserting his Cap'n naval rank amidst a national controversy over uniform stripes
- Sharing his cereal bowl with Hollywood royals, Burt Reynolds and Tatyana Ali, on his brand new hit YouTube late night talk show, "The Cap'n Crunch Show"
- Embarking on a cross-country press tour to rally his fans, #TeamCrunch, comprised of media, celebrities and everyday cereal fans alike
- Publicly twerking upside down and shaking what his grandmother gave him
"Even though I'm kind of a 'big deal' these days, I'm still the Cap'n of curbing late night and breakfast cereal cravings," assures Cap'n Crunch of his other roles outside of an esteemed seaman.
Cap'n Crunch plans on milking the job for all it's worth and hopes to interview some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry in Season 2 of "The Cap'n Crunch Show," slated for mid-2014.
"When crunch comes to shove, my job is one-of-a-kind. There's endless cereal to snack on, and I've never had to shave my impressive facial hair," says Cap'n Crunch, twirling his mustache for added effect. "I'm not retiring to Crunch Island anytime soon. Here's to another half century of rapscallionry!"
This year, Cap'n Crunch wishes to personally thank his fans for their 50 years of support and showcase his bounty of nostalgia on the World Wide Web. Share your personal favorite Cap'n Crunch memories and see what happens next by:
- Subscribing to "The Cap'n Crunch Show" YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/capncrunch
- Following the Cap'n on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/realcapncrunch
- Supporting the Cap'n using the hashtag #TeamCrunch
- Liking the Cap'n on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/capncrunch
About Cap'n Crunch
Cap'n Crunch has been a mainstay in the cereal aisle since it was first introduced in 1963. Owned by the Quaker Oats Company, a unit of PepsiCo, Inc., the ready-to-eat cereal brand features six varieties including Original, Crunch Berries, Peanut Butter Crunch, OOPS! All Berries, Chocolatey Crunch and Cinnamon Roll Crunch. For more information, please visit www.capncrunch.com, Facebook.com/capncrunch or @realcapncrunch.
PepsiCo is a global food and beverage leader with net revenues of more than $65 billion and a product portfolio that includes 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in annual retail sales. Our main businesses – Quaker, Tropicana, Gatorade, Frito-Lay and Pepsi-Cola – make hundreds of enjoyable foods and beverages that are loved throughout the world. PepsiCo's people are united by our unique commitment to sustainable growth by investing in a healthier future for people and our planet, which we believe also means a more successful future for PepsiCo. We call this commitment Performance with Purpose: PepsiCo's promise to provide a wide range of foods and beverages from treats to healthy eats; to find innovative ways to minimize our impact on the environment by conserving energy and water and reducing packaging volume; to provide a great workplace for our associates; and to respect, support and invest in the local communities where we operate. For more information, please visit www.pepsico.com.
 Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2012
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.