Celebrate National Nutrition Month By Cutting Calories And Boosting Flavor
Let Cabot Creamery Cooperative's Award Winning Line of Light Cheddars & Low Fat Greek-Style Yogurt Show You the Light
CABOT, Vt., March 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Americans are faced with unhealthy food choices every day. Foods that are high in sugar, fat, and salt and low in nutrients, such as vitamins and fiber, often seem like the faster, easier way to go. It's no secret that consuming unhealthy quantities of these kinds of processed food can lead to obesity, heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes. And even fully aware of the consequences of an unhealthy diet, it can be difficult to resist the allure of caloric bombs when healthier options may seem less appealing. The message of National Nutrition Month® - which begins March 1 - is that some of the best tasting foods can also be the best and healthiest choices. The evidence? Cabot Creamery Cooperative's line of Light Cheddars and Greek-Style Yogurt are not only healthy food options, they have won a tractor-full of awards, including "Best of Class" honors from the 2012 American Cheese Society Awards.
"It's easy to tell people to cut out the junk food and eat foods low in sugar, fat, and salt, but that tactic rarely works," says Regan Jones, Registered Dietitian and Cabot's National Nutrition Communications Manager. "Generally speaking, many people know which are the best food choices. One of the reasons I most often encounter for why they're not eating better is they think the healthier choices just don't taste as good. As a registered dietitian, it is my duty to dispel that notion by introducing them to products like Cabot's Light Cheddars and Low Fat Greek-Style Yogurt, which are absolutely delicious and have just a fraction of the calories of their regular counterparts."
Cabot's Light cheddars - available in Sharp Light, Sharp Extra Light, Jalapeno Light, and Pepper Jack Light – provide important nutrients like calcium and protein, with relatively few accompanying calories. They have less fat and sodium than other light or reduced fat cheddars, and have won the big awards for taste. In 2012, the World Championship Cheese Contest awarded the top score for reduced fat cheddars to Cabot Sharp Light, and the American Cheese Society picked Jalapeno Light as Best of Class. Sharp Extra Light was also awarded a best in class at the 2011 U.S. Championship Cheese Contest.
"It's never too early to start eating healthful, but why not let National Nutrition Month inspire you to begin now?" says Regan. "A great way to introduce healthier food choices into your diet is by substituting high fat foods with more nutritious alternatives. Cabot's made it simple by coming up with a Greek-Style Yogurt substitution guide. Items like heavy cream, oil, and mayo can be replaced with Greek-Style Yogurt, giving recipes the same creamy texture with just a portion of the calories and fat."
Looking for some inspiration? Visit www.cabotcheese.coop/recipes for dozens of healthy living recipes, featuring Light Cheddars and Greek-Style Yogurt.
To learn more about Cabot's Light Cheddar, including cooking hints, or Cabot's Greek-Style Yogurt Substitution Guide & Cooking Tips, visit www.cabotcheese.coop and click on the refrigerator magnets.
Grilled Chicken & Vegetable Kabobs
Makes 4 servings
1 cup Cabot 2% Plain Greek-Style Yogurt, 2% Vanilla Bean Greek-Style Yogurt or2% Peach Greek-Style Yogurt
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Hot sauce, such as Sriracha chili sauce, to taste
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1-1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
About 3 cups assorted vegetables cut into 2-inch chunks (such as onion, bell pepper, zucchini, squash, etc.)
1. To make marinade, in medium bowl mix together yogurt, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lime or lemon juice, Worcestershire, half of garlic, thyme and basil until well blended. Add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Remove 1/4 cup of marinade and set aside.
2. Cut chicken breasts into 2-inch pieces and place in remaining marinade, stirring until all pieces are well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours.
3. In small bowl, mix remaining garlic with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil; set aside.
4. When chicken has marinated, preheat grill to medium-high. Divide chicken among about 4 skewers.
5. In large bowl, combine vegetables with reserved olive oil-garlic mixture, tossing to coat. Thread vegetables on about 4 more skewers.
6. Add reserved yogurt marinade to any garlic oil remaining in bowl.
7. Grill chicken and vegetable skewers until cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes for chicken.
8. Brush hot chicken and vegetable skewers with yogurt/olive oil mixture. Arrange on serving dish, or serve over bed of green salad or rice.
Gingered Apple-Cheddar Slaw
Makes 4 servings
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1 Fuji apple
2 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, coarsely grated (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1. In medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and ginger.
2. Cut apple into quarters and cut away cores. Cut quarters into thin slices, then stack several slices and cut into matchsticks.
3. Add apple, cheese and cilantro to bowl and toss gently to combine.
Blueberry, Mint & Vanilla Bean Yogurt Parfaits
Makes 2 servings
1 cup Welch's 100% Grape Juice made with Concord grapes
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
1 cup Cabot 2% Vanilla Bean Greek-Style Yogurt
1. In large skillet over high heat, bring grape juice to boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add blueberries and continue cooking until reduced and bubbling thickly, about 4 minutes longer.
2. Transfer sauce to bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled.
3. When ready to serve, stir mint into sauce. Layer yogurt and sauce in two (8-ounce) glasses.
ABOUT CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVE
Cabot Creamery Cooperative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919, and makes a full line of cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese and butter. Widely known as makers of "The World's Best Cheddar," Cabot is owned by the 1200 dairy farm families of Agri-Mark, the Northeast's premier dairy cooperative, with farms located throughout New England and upstate New York. For more information on Cabot, visit: http://www.cabotcheese.coop
Cabot Creamery Cooperative is the world's first cheese maker and dairy cooperative to achieve B Corporation Certification, a validation of its attention to environmental and social impacts on stakeholders
Contact: Bob Schiers
(888) 214.9444 or email@example.com
SOURCE Cabot Creamery Cooperative
More by this Source
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day With Family, Friends, And A Big Pot o' Luck
Mar 12, 2014, 10:54 ET
Cabot© Creamery Cooperative Announces Reward Volunteers 4.0 Grand Prize Winners
Feb 14, 2014, 12:36 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.