DENVER, Feb. 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of Engineers Week, Feb. 19 to 25, the CH2M Foundation announces an investment of more than $1 million during 2016 into its strategic partnerships to promote science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education and the building of sustainable communities.
"From building life-sustaining footbridges for rural communities, to playing an active role in developing and mentoring the next-generation workforce in STEM education, CH2M's core values and employees' passionate engagement are central to our success," said CH2M Chairman and CEO Jacque Hinman.
Governed by an employee board, the award-winning foundation continues to make significant impacts delivering greater social, environmental and economic benefits around the world, as highlighted below.
Inspiring, educating and mentoring to promote STEM education:
- Dow-CH2M Smithsonian Science Education Academy for Teachers: A partnership with the Dow Foundation to send teachers to the week-long academy, heightening their ability to inspire and enlighten students in STEM education.
- Summer Engineering Residential Program: Through the Social Mobility Foundation, introducing high school students to engineering opportunities through hands-on activities, coaching and visits to London's most iconic infrastructure projects.
- Green Infrastructure and STEM Education Pilot Project: Working with The Nature Conservancy at W.B. Saul High School in Philadelphia to teach students how to design and construct a green stormwater project on campus; received the US2020 STEM Mentoring Award for Excellence in Public-Private Partnerships.
- STEM Partnerships Program, Denver School of Science and Technology: Funding development of special partnerships with universities and colleges, internship programs and career events to ensure DSST high school graduates persist and succeed in their higher education STEM studies.
- Girls Inc. of Metro Denver: Providing funds and volunteers for the five-year Eureka! STEM program for middle and high school girls, including a four-week summer program; a Transportation Engineering Week; an internship; and a travel-abroad experience.
- Let's Talk Science Challenge: Supporting the Canada-wide program where 3,300 middle school students engaged in team-based study and science competitions.
- Think Science Expo, Emirates Foundation: Sponsoring the "Think Science" Expo where 3,000+ Emirati high school and university students learned to design and build science-based innovations and were mentored by CH2M volunteers about the role STEM education plays in the world's infrastructure.
- Polish Children's Fund, STEM Workshops: Supporting underserved, gifted high school students with math and innovation workshops in 2017.
The CH2M Foundation also granted funds to strategic partners promoting lasting and life-sustaining infrastructure, working side by side with local communities to build, maintain and scale critical water and transportation projects.
Building sustainable communities:
- Bridges to Prosperity: Since 2014, CH2M employee volunteers have built seven footbridges in Panama, Nicaragua, Rwanda, the Philippines and East Timor, providing safe passage across dangerous rivers to enable medical and economic access.
- Engineers Without Borders-USA: Funded a team of employee volunteers to conduct a feasibility study for a micro-hydro dam in Guatemala and provided support for planning, monitoring, evaluating and learning across the organization.
- Water For People: Awarded a grant for Nicaragua and raised $200,000+ in employee donations to ensure access to clean, safe drinking water and sanitation.
"Our people make a difference in communities around the world through their daily work," said Ellen Sandberg, executive director of the foundation. "The CH2M Foundation reinforces their commitment by focusing on areas of critical importance to our employees, our clients and the communities we serve."
Learn more about CH2M's philanthropic partnerships and investments.
Interested in dreaming big with CH2M? We're hiring! Explore our available opportunities.
CH2M leads the professional services industry delivering sustainable solutions benefiting societal, environmental and economic outcomes with the development of infrastructure and industry. In this way, CH2Mers make a positive difference providing consulting, design, engineering and management services for clients in water; environment and nuclear; transportation; energy and industrial markets, from iconic infrastructure to global programs like the Olympic Games. Ranked among the World's Most Ethical Companies and top firms in environmental consulting and program management, CH2M in 2016 became the first professional services firm honored with the World Environment Center Gold Medal Award for efforts advancing sustainable development. Connect with CH2M at www.ch2m.com; LinkedIn; Twitter; and Facebook.
CH2M, Corporate Marketing and Communications
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ch2m-foundation-invests-in-stem-education-sustainable-communities-300411363.html