BENTONVILLE, Ark., Aug. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Backpacks, lunchboxes and homework, oh my! The back-to-school frenzy is officially kicking off for more than 49 million children nationwide[i], which means parents are back to balancing time-crunched schedules. Mom and award-winning chef Molly Hawks, owner of Hawks Restaurant in Sacramento, CA, understands the importance of having easy-to-make recipes at the ready for the busy school season. She joins the Sam's Club Simply Delicious Chef Brigade to help serve up flavor-filled fare the whole household can enjoy.
Between lunches, after-school snacks and daily dinners, Chef Molly Hawks has solutions that can incorporate dietary needs and a healthy dose of fruits or vegetables. Her Frozen Sugar Kiss and Watermelon Pops combine fresh, seasonal fruits with vitamin-rich orange juice for a fun treat, while her Gluten Free Rotisserie Chicken BLT Lettuce Cups (recipe below) are a protein-packed weeknight dish that can double as tasty leftovers for the lunchbox. Chef Hawks' recipes and demonstration video are now on the SamsClub.com/meals "Tips & Videos" tab along with photos and printable recipes on the SamsClub.com/meals "Easy Recipes" tab.
"As a working mom of two, I understand how families often feel starved for time as kids head back to class. To maximize time in the kitchen, I look for recipes with healthy ingredients that can be used across several dishes throughout the week," says Chef Hawks. "To cut down on last-minute grocery trips, I always make sure to stock up on food items at the start of the week, which is why Sam's Club is a great place to do weekly shopping. Plus, Sam's Club offers a 200% satisfaction guarantee* so I can be sure I'm getting great quality."
Add free time back into the day with a no-bake, gluten-free rotisserie chicken recipe, created exclusively for Sam's Club by Molly Hawks. Using only five ingredients, this simple meal is ready in less than 20 minutes.
Gluten Free Rotisserie Chicken BLT Lettuce Cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 C Pulled Gluten Free Rotisserie Chicken Breast (approximately 1 breast)
- 1 Head Iceberg Lettuce
- 4 Strips of Bacon
- 1 Small Tomato, Small Diced
- 4T Ranch Dressing
- Crisp the bacon and set aside.
- Cut the head of iceberg lettuce in half, lengthwise. Then rinse the lettuce under running water to clean, and shake dry.
- Remove the outer layers of lettuce, setting aside for another use.
- As you get to the center of the lettuce head, carefully separate 8 lettuce cups (single or double layer).
- Line up the lettuce cups on a work surface and distribute the chicken equally between the 8 cups.
- Crumble the bacon and distribute evenly over the chicken.
- Add the diced tomato to each lettuce cup.
- Optional: Drizzle the ranch dressing over each lettuce cup, or serve on the side as a dip.
"We recognize that during the back-to-school season, parents spend a great deal of time planning their weekly menus and searching for easy mealtime solutions," said Shawn Baldwin, senior vice president of fresh/freezer/cooler and demos at Sam's Club. "From meats and seafood to produce and baked goods, Sam's Club provides a wide assortment of top quality fresh groceries that inspire meals for the week ahead. By leveraging these quality ingredients, the Simply Delicious Chef Brigade helps families realize how simple it can be to create restaurant-quality meals at home."
Now in its second year, the Sam's Club Simply Delicious Chef Brigade features nationally renowned chefs who create simple, flavorful meal ideas and show families that cooking at home can be just as delicious as dining out. Visit SamsClub.com/meals for ongoing announcements about the Simply Delicious Chef Brigade program, including new recipes, videos, tips and other featured cooking content.
About Sam's Club
Sam's Club®, a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), is the nation's eighth largest retailer and a leading membership warehouse club offering superior products and services to more than 47 million members in clubs across the U.S., as well as in Brazil, China and Mexico. Members save an average of 34 percent over traditional retailers. To learn more about Savings Made Simple®, visit SamsClub.com, and look for Sam's Club on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and our Mobile and iPad® Apps.
* Sam's Club will double the member's money back or refund of the original purchase price and replacement of Fresh product. The 200% Guarantee applies only to paid members with Sam's Club. It does not apply to 1-Day or other Passes. Non-members may return fresh product for their purchase price only.
[i] Source: "2011 Fast Facts." National Center for Education Statistics. http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372
SOURCE Sam's Club