GREENWICH, Conn., Jan. 25, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- For the second year in a row, GE tops the list as the Best Company for Leaders, followed by EMC Insurance, which moved up from 4th last year. Hitachi Data Systems leapt to third, up from 23rd in 2015. Among the remaining top 10, Johnson Controls (No. 5) is new to the list this year, while 3M came in 8th, up from 11 in 2015.
Companies ranked for the first time in the top 40 include: HNI, CEO Stan Askren; Inter RAO, CEO Anatoly Gavrilenko; ArcBeat, CEO Judy McReynolds; and Synovus, CEO Kessel Stelling, Jr.
Best Companies for Leaders are evaluated on 5 criteria:
- Having a formal leadership process in place
- CEO commitment to a measurable leadership development program
- The depth of the leadership funnel as measured by a percentage of senior and middle-management positions filled internally
- The number of other companies that report recruiting from the company being evaluated
- A shareholder value performance metric based on 10-year growth or decline in market capitalization
Chief Executive magazine publishes the rankings annually in partnership with GrowthPlay, a Chicago-based sales and leadership consulting firm. The list recognizes the top 40 public companies (over $1 billion in revenue) and 10 private companies that excel at leadership development.
The 2016 10 Best Public Companies for Leaders are:
- General Electric, CEO Jeffrey Immelt
- EMC Insurance, CEO Bruce Kelley
- Hitachi Data Systems, CEO Jack Domme
- IBM, CEO Virginia Rometty
- Johnson Controls, CEO Alex Molinaroli
- VF Corporation, CEO Eric Wiseman
- Verizon Communications, CEO Lowell McAdam
- 3M, CEO Inge Thulin
- P&G, CEO David Taylor
- Dow Chemical, CEO Andrew Liveris
The full list of 40 public company winners and 10 private company winners can be accessed here:
The 2016 10 Best Private Companies for Leaders are:
- Black & Veach, CEO Steven Edwards
- AlliedBarton Security Services, CEO William Whitmore
- HAVI Group, CEO Theodore Pearlman
- Hilti, CEO Christoph Loos
- Deloitte, CEO Cathy Engelbert
- Transplace, CEO Thomas Sanderson
- Day & Zimmerman, CEO Hal Yoh
- Dell, CEO Michael Dell
- Westfield Group, CEO Edward Largent
- CRST International, CEO David Rusch
Of the companies surveyed, 83 percent have headquarters in North America; 71 percent have international operations. The majority of the industries represented include manufacturing, professional/scientific/technical services, information/media/telecommunication, and finance/insurance/real estate.
"At a time when CEO tenure is getting shorter and turnover is becoming more frequent, companies with strong leadership development programs will benefit in the long run by having continuity and predictable depth of talent," said J.P. Donlon, editor in chief of Chief Executive magazine. "That preparedness will also be transparent in ways they are measured, such as their shareholder value and analyst ratings."
For previous rankings, judging criteria and more, click here.
About Chief Executive Group
Chief Executive Group produces Chief Executive magazine (published since 1977), and chiefexecutive.net, including e-newsletters and online content, as well as conferences and roundtables that enable top corporate officers to discuss key subjects and share their experiences within a community of peers. The Group also facilitates the annual "CEO of the Year," a prestigious honor bestowed upon an outstanding corporate leader, nominated and selected by a group of peers. Visit www.chiefexecutive.net for more information.
GrowthPlay addresses a pressing market need for helping businesses achieve better results by improving the sales capabilities and performance of front-line and customer-facing staff. The company helps clients improve their ability to drive profitable revenue growth by assessing and improving the capability, potential, and execution of client-facing individuals and teams. GrowthPlay's holistic approach brings together best-of-breed services and technologies in sales effectiveness, including the use of predictive assessment technology, as well as a broad array of proven sales consulting, training, development, and coaching interventions. For more information about GrowthPlay, go to www.growthplay.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chief-executive-magazine-announces-its-2016-best-companies-for-leaders-300208739.html
SOURCE Chief Executive Group