CHILDREN AT RISK and Shell Announce Top 10 STEM High Schools in Texas
HOUSTON, May 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Shell Oil Company has once again sponsored CHILDREN AT RISK to take a deeper look at high school performance in math and science education. Each year, CHILDREN AT RISK ranks the top STEM High Schools when ranking the Top High Schools across Texas. In addition to Texas, CHILDREN AT RISK will also recognize the Top 10 STEM High Schools in three other states where Shell has a large demand for a skilled STEM workforce: Louisiana, Georgia, and Pennsylvania.
Sponsoring STEM School Rankings is just one of the ways that Shell is working in the community to promote STEM education. Recently, the company held an Eco-Marathon in Houston, TX, challenging student teams to build an energy-efficient car. "From our work with business partners in the community like Shell, it's apparent that STEM education is essential as we prepare students for a workforce that is increasingly reliant on skills in these areas," said Dr. Bob Sanborn, president and CEO of CHILDREN AT RISK.
Compiling and Analyzing the Data
High schools were measured on a set of math and science specific indicators that capture both performance and engagement in these areas. The indicators include performance on math and science standardized tests and college entrance exams, and offerings and enrollment in advanced math and science courses.
Top 10 STEM High Schools in Texas
- School for the Talented and Gifted (Dallas ISD)
- School of Science and Engineering (Dallas ISD)
- DeBakey High School for Health Professions (Houston ISD)
- LASA High School (Austin ISD)
- Westwood High School (Round Rock ISD)
- Uplift Education- North Hills Prep (Uplift Education)
- The Science Academy of South Texas (South Texas ISD)
- Carnegie Vanguard High School (Houston ISD)
- Westlake Academy (Westlake Academy Charter School)
- Westlake High School (Eanes ISD)
CHILDREN AT RISK hopes these rankings bring awareness to the importance of making STEM education a priority.
Media Contact: Rashena Lindsay Flagg, 713.301.4577
SOURCE CHILDREN AT RISK