Con-way Inc. Announces 2013 Scholarship Winners
Grants Will Help Outstanding Children of Company's Employees Pursue Post-Secondary Education
ANN ARBOR, Mich., Aug. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Con-way Inc. (NYSE: CNW) announced today that the company has awarded nearly $200,000 in educational grants to exceptional children of its employees through the Con-way Scholarship Program.
Over the past 20 years, the Con-way Scholarship Program has awarded some $3.9 million in grants to more than 1,200 exemplary recipients. Each student has demonstrated outstanding achievement in academics, athletics and community engagement.
Under this year's program, educational grants were awarded to 166 new and continuing students. The 2013 recipients intend to pursue various areas of study, including chemical engineering, accounting, nursing and the liberal arts and sciences, and are attending a variety of educational institutions including public and private universities, community colleges and vocational programs
"With the costs of college tuition continuing to rise, funding post-secondary education remains a significant challenge for deserving students and their families," said Douglas W. Stotlar, Con-way's president and CEO. "By assisting the children of our employees with these educational grants, we are helping them gain skills and knowledge that are critical for success in today's job market. It's an honor to support these exemplary young people in their pursuit of collegiate achievement."
For the 2013-2014 school year, the company awarded scholarships to 51 new students and renewed grants for 115 continuing students. Scholarship recipients are full-time students whose parents have been employed for three consecutive years by one of Con-way's three principal operating companies — Con-way Freight, Con-way Truckload or Menlo Worldwide Logistics — or the company's corporate and administrative organizations.
The application period for the 2014-2015 scholarship program will open on Dec. 1, 2013 with the submission deadline of Feb. 15, 2014. Eligible employees may obtain a scholarship application for their children at the company's website, or through their human resources representative. Scholarship America is the administrator of Con-way's Scholarship Program, and all grants are renewable for up to three years, or upon completion of a bachelor's degree or vocational program.
The following students who received first-time awards under the 2013-2014 award cycle are profiled on the company's website.
- Michael Andre, Feeding Hills, Mass.: College of the Holy Cross
- Karina Aranda, Fremont, Calif.: University of San Diego
- Robert Bean, Howard City, Mich.: Tiffin University
- Michelle Canas, Tampa, Fla.: Hillsborough Community College
- Kyon Carpenter, Olive Branch, Miss.: Christian Brothers University
- Coy Cass, Caldwell, Texas: Texas State Technical College, Waco
- Heather Clance, Gray, Ga.: Middle Georgia State College, Macon
- Allyson Dafler, Hamilton, Ohio: University of Cincinnati
- Lacee Dupart, Florissant, Mo.: Loyola University Chicago
- Joseph Eboigbe, Decatur, Ga.: Savannah State University
- Cody Eckardt, Watertown, Minn.: Normandale Community College
- Shawna Fortuna, Sparta, Wis.: University of Wisconsin, Platteville
- Todd Fowler, Joplin, Mo.: University of Arkansas
- Nichole Gilmore, Johnson City, Tenn.: East Tennessee State University
- Danielle Grimm, Clarence, N.Y.: SUNY College at Geneseo
- Emily Hammer, Williamsville, N.Y.: SUNY College at Buffalo
- Shavonne Hardy, Opelousas, La.: Louisiana State University
- Courtni Helmick, Martinsburg, W.Va.: West Virginia University
- Cory Hinds, Rancho Cordova, Calif.: Brigham Young University
- Joshua Irvin, Greenville, N.C.: North Carolina State University
- Candice Janecka, Austin, Texas: Texas A&M University, Galveston
- Sohyun Kim, Mississauga, Ontario: Ryerson University
- Kevin "Zach" Koons, Pilot Mountain, N.C.: North Carolina State University
- Stephen Kucera, Kansas City, Kan.: Kansas State University
- Madison Lear, Canby, Ore.: University of Portland
- Faith Lemire Baeten, Galt, Calif.: Harvey Mudd College
- Shelby Lofton, Hammond, Ore.: Oregon State University
- Jennie Mariani, Harleysville, Pa.: East Carolina University
- Amara May, West Seneca, N.Y.: SUNY College at Fredonia
- Nathan McAnally, Tullahoma, Tenn.: The Citadel
- Jessie McCoy, Rome, Ga.: Georgia Highlands College
- Henry Millard, Joplin, Mo.: University of Arkansas
- Caitlin Moore, Avilla, Ind.: Valparaiso University
- Jordan Moore, Hensley, Ark.: Arkansas State University
- Jennifer Mora, Hightstown, N.J.: Monmouth University
- Lara Musaefendic, Essex Junction, Vt.: University of Massachusetts, Boston
- Amanda Oto, Plainfield, Ill.: University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- John Oto, Plainfield, Ill.: University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- Caleb Overfelt, Brownsburg, Ind.: Huntington University
- Caroline Pace, Sayville, N.Y.: Gettysburg College
- Cassandra Peden, Woodburn, Ore.: Willamette University
- Rebecca Ragan, Reedsport, Ore.: Corban University
- Francesca Rios, Paris, Ill.: Millikin University
- Savannah Roach, Hillsborough, Ore.: University of Southern California
- Mackenzie Tully, Ashland, Ore.: Lane Community College
- Stephanie Urena, Edison, N.J.: Middlesex County College
- Tayla Vincent, East Providence, R.I.: University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
- Lydia vonder Luft, Brush Prairie, Wash.: New Saint Andrews College
- Shallyn Ward, Poplar Bluff, Mo.: University of Missouri, Kansas City
- Shane Wery, Norway, Mich.: Central Michigan University
- Paula Zeren, Canton, Ohio: University of Toledo
Follow the company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ConwayInc
Con-way equipment images are available at
About Con-Way Inc.
Con-way Inc. (NYSE: CNW) is a $5.6 billion freight transportation and logistics services company headquartered in Ann Arbor, Mich. Con-way delivers industry-leading services through its primary operating companies of Con-way Freight, Con-way Truckload and Menlo Worldwide Logistics. These operating units provide high-performance, day-definite less-than-truckload (LTL), full truckload and multimodal freight transportation, as well as logistics, warehousing and supply chain management services. Con-way also operates a trailer refurbishing and manufacturing company which supplies trailing equipment to the company's trucking fleets. Con-way Inc. and its subsidiaries operate from more than 500 locations across North America and in 20 countries. For more information about Con-way, visit www.con-way.com.
SOURCE Con-way Inc.
More by this Source
Con-way Chief Executive Officer To Address Baird Conference
Nov 01, 2013, 15:00 ET
Con-way Inc. Reports 2013 Third-quarter Results
Oct 30, 2013, 16:05 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.