CTV Announces Top 50 Home Cooks and Grand Prize for Iconic New Culinary Competition Series MASTERCHEF CANADA
- Top 50 amateur home cooks include a stand-up comedian, an opera singer, a tattoo artist, a stay-at-home dad, and a female plumber -
- Finalists compete for $100,000 cash prize and the title of the first-ever Canadian MasterChef -
- MASTERCHEF CANADA premieres Monday, January 20 at 8 p.m./7 p.m. CT -
To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/1gSeYQ6 #MCC @MasterChefCDA
TORONTO, Dec. 9, 2013 /CNW/ - CTV announced today the list of Top 50 MASTERCHEF CANADA home cooks, culled from the thousands of applicants from across the country. In this nail-biting audition process, home cooks from across Canada put their best dish forward for a chance to continue on the homegrown edition of one of the most successful primetime entertainment formats in the world. CTV also announced today the grand prize these home cooks are vying for: the MasterChef Canada title and a $100,000 cash prize to help make their culinary dreams come true. MASTERCHEF CANADA airs Mondays at 8 p.m./7 p.m. CT beginning Jan. 20 on CTV and CTV GO.
"We searched the country and are confident these Top 50 home cooks are the best this country has to offer," said Phil King, President, CTV Programming and Sports. "The production team selected amateur chefs of all ages and vocations who are ready to showcase their passion, talent, and drive as they cook for the right to be the first-ever Canadian MasterChef."
**Media Note** - Download photos from MASTERCHEF CANADA at BellMediaPR.ca.
As home cooks enter the final phases of the audition process for a coveted white MasterChef apron, in the premiere episode (Monday, Jan. 20 at 8 p.m./7 p.m. CT), each home cook must present their signature dish to esteemed judges Michael Bonacini, Alvin Leung, and Claudio Aprile. As friends and family cheer on the amateur cooks, only those with the most impressive dishes will be given the opportunity to move forward in the competition. The Top 50 home cooks competing for the first-ever MASTERCHEF CANADA title and $100,000 cash prize are:
- Allison Abernethy, Business Student - New Minas, N.S.
- Andrew Lawton, Political Commentator and Radio Personality - Toronto
- Ashley Alexander, Science Student - Toronto
- Ben Miner, Stand-up Comedian - Ottawa
- Billie-Jo Picco, Licensed Practical Nurse - Mount Pearl, N.L.
- Bram Llewellyn, Banker - Toronto
- Brooke Feldman, Makeup Artist - York, Ont.
- Carly Tennant, Retail Clothing Store Owner - Langley, B.C.
- Carmela Campolargo, Stay-at-Home Mom - King City, Ont.
- Chris Ward, Custom Home Builder - Breslau, Ont.
- Christina Menchenton, Retail Management - Toronto
- Dale Kuda, Housekeeper and Business Owner - Toronto
- Danielle Cardozo, Employment Development Officer - Cranbrook, B.C.
- Danny Raposo - Brampton, Ont.
- Dina Van Koeverden, Opera Singer - Ottawa
- Dora Cote, Plumber - Rocky Mountain House, Alta.
- Eric Chong, Chemical Engineer - Oakville, Ont.
- Evan Ouaknine, Transportation Sales & Development - Montreal, Que.
- Fabian Suckoo, Merchandiser - Calgary, Alta.
- Geoff Johnson, Division Manager - Toronto
- Jason Mayo, High School Teacher - Jarvis, Ont.
- John Chung Yin Leung, Radio Operator - Calgary, Alta.
- Jordan Casey, Financial Service Representative - Amherstview, Ont.
- Jose Mosselli, Flooring Sales - Hamilton, Ont.
- Josh Gale, IT Sales - Vancouver
- JP Lessard, Wine Representative - Irricana, Alta.
- Julie Miguel, Bankruptcy Analyst - Woodbridge, Ont.
- Kaila Klassen, Realtor - West Kelowna, B.C.
- Kelly Rothschild, Tattoo Artist - Toronto
- Marida Mohammed, Stay-at-Home Mom - Toronto
- Maryam Chashnidel, Immigration Consultant - Vaughan, Ont.
- Meghan Toth, Stay-at-Home Mom - St. Catharines, Ont.
- Mike Green, Freelance Food Journalist - Winnipeg, Man.
- Mike Hamilton, Autoworker - Mississauga, Ont.
- Mylene Facchini, Hair Stylist and Zumba Instructor - Whitby, Ont.
- Narida Mohammed - Toronto
- Natalie Mascia, Dental Office Administrator - Niagara Falls, Ont.
- Natalya Demberg, Banking Strategist - Toronto
- Patrick Stansfield, Entrepreneur - Vancouver
- Peter "Bubba" Smith, Sales Manager - Calgary, Alta.
- Pino Di Cerbo, Stay-at-Home Dad - Mississauga, Ont.
- Ryan Wright, Chemist - Winnipeg, Man.
- Rob Slivchak, Web Developer - Toronto
- Sarah Nguyen, Stay-at-Home Mom - Oakville, Ont.
- Shane Ereaut, Canadian Armed Forces - Kanata, Ont.
- Soujanya Arlikatti, HR Professional - Thornhill, Ont.
- Sparkle Davis, Social Worker - Ottawa
- Tammara Behl, Special Needs Teacher - Calgary
- Trevor Jessome, Royal Canadian Forces - Lahave, N.S.
- Vicky Rodden, Library Assistant - Haliburton, Ont.
See CTV.ca/MasterChefCanada/Top50 for additional details on the Top 50 competitors.
As previously announced, Week 3 of the series and the first elimination episode, will air immediately following the SUPER BOWL XLVIII on Sunday, Feb. 2.
MASTERCHEF CANADA is produced by Proper Television in association with CTV. President of Proper Television, Guy O'Sullivan executive produces MASTERCHEF CANADA, along with Proper's Vice-President and Creative Director, Cathie James. Shine America's Paul Franklin along with Judy Smart are Creative Consultants. Robin Johnston and Tina Apostolopoulos are Production Executives for Bell Media, Corrie Coe is Senior Vice-President, Independent Production, Bell Media. Mike Cosentino is Senior Vice-President, Programming, CTV Networks. Phil King is President, CTV, Sports, and Entertainment Programming.
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:
About Bell Media Independent Production
Bell Media has commissioned some of Canada's most-watched and most-acclaimed original programming, working with the best Canadian independent producers in the country. Hit CTV series include ratings success stories SAVING HOPE, THE LISTENER, MOTIVE, the #1 new Canadian scripted series of the 2012/13 season, and THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, the record-breaking, Canadian-produced complementary version of the hit international series. CTV is also home to drama series PLAYED, and premiering in the 2013/14 season, multi-cam office comedy SPUN OUT, and hit international format MASTERCHEF CANADA. Among the scripted series on Bell Media pay and specialty channels are the two-time Emmy®-nominated hit DEGRASSI, the recently renewed ORPHAN BLACK, CSA-winning CALL ME FITZ, and upcoming dramas BITTEN, SENSITIVE SKIN, 19-2, and KILLJOYS. Bell Media specialty channels are also home to reality series such as BRAVE NEW GIRLS, game shows MATCH GAME and POP QUIZ, and factual series HIGHWAY THRU HELL and CANADA'S WORST DRIVER, among others. So far in 2013, Bell Media has ordered 24 original Canadian series and currently has 74 projects in various stages of development.
About Shine International
Shine International is the sales and distribution arm of Shine Group and focuses on exploiting worldwide intellectual property rights through scripted and non-scripted formats and tape. The company distributes programming from Shine Group's growing library of programming along with an array of programming acquired from independent producers and major primetime broadcasters, to more than 150 countries worldwide. Shine International is a leader in handling global rights to unscripted formats including THE BIGGEST LOSER (airing in 30 countries), ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE, MINUTE TO WIN IT, CLASH OF THE CHOIRS, and MASTERCHEF, which is now licensed in over 40 countries and airs in 200 territories; and a scripted catalogue that boasts the critically acclaimed BROADCHURCH, UTOPIA and IN THE FLESH, new sit-com VICIOUS and the forthcoming Shine America and FX co-production of THE BRIDGE. www.shineinternational.com
CTV is Canada's #1 private broadcaster. Featuring a wide range of quality news, sports, information, and entertainment programming, CTV has been Canada's most-watched television network for the past 12 years in a row. CTV is a division of Bell Media, Canada's premier multimedia company with leading assets in television, radio, digital, and Out-of-Home. Bell Media is part of BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company. More information about CTV can be found on the network's website at CTV.ca.