Detroit Free Press Statement on Bob Talbert

Nov 19, 1999, 00:00 ET from Detroit Free Press

    DETROIT, Nov. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- The following is a statement from the
 Detroit Free Press on Bob Talbert:
     A giant has fallen.  Bob Talbert, who gave the Free Press and its readers
 32 years of wonderful stories and columns, died this morning after a long
     Our thoughts and prayers are with Bob's wife, Lynn, and the rest of his
 family.  This is a sad day for all of us who loved Bob Talbert, the man and
 the journalist.  For the Free Press and for millions of Free Press readers,
 Bob was the good friend who spoke to us each morning from the pages of the
 newspaper.  He made us laugh, moan, reflect and connect with each other.
     He was the soul and fabric of this newspaper, and the community he called
 home.  Hundreds of tributes have been flooding in on radio stations and to
 the newspaper, and there is one common element to each one of them.  Bob made
 the human connection to everyone, from people on the street to the high and
 mighty.  He never lost his common touch, and the people of this community
 fell in love with him and what he told us about ourselves.
     Bob had been ill for several months.  In recent days his doctors and
 family had seen steady improvement.  There was great hope he would soon be
 back in his familiar place in the newspaper.
     His passing leaves a great void in our newspaper and our newsroom.  No one
 could fill his shoes.  Certainly no one could be as prodigious a writer as
 Bob.  Certainly no journalists could ever be the kind of chronicler of the
 life of our city that Bob was.
     Talbert was born May 28, 1936 in Spartanburg, S.C.  He graduated from the
 University of South Carolina in 1958 with a degree in journalism.  He started
 his career as a sports writer.  He came to the Free Press from the State and
 Columbia Record in Columbia S.C. in 1967.
     Talbert entered the hospital in August for open heart surgery.  Other
 complications, including an ulcer and the resulting infection, ultimately
 caused his death this morning.

SOURCE Detroit Free Press