PITTSBURGH, Jan. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Duquesne Light Company
(NYSE: DQE) employees will honor the life and contributions of Martin Luther
King Jr. through their volunteer work in Allegheny and Beaver counties on
Monday, Jan. 19.
Established by Duquesne Light in 1996, the ninth annual "Living the Dream"
program commemorates the legacy of Rev. King through community service
projects. "Each year, we select specific human service agencies based on
input from our employee volunteers, and the needs expressed by the agencies
themselves," said Pamela Coates, Community Relations manager. "This year,
approximately 30 Duquesne Light employees have volunteered to aid six agencies
located in Allegheny and Beaver county communities near where they live or
* Beaver County Rehabilitation Center in New Brighton provides people
with disabilities the opportunity for vocational growth and
independence while respecting the dignity and uniqueness of each
individual. Volunteers will provide one-on-one supervision with
clients as they work at mailing, assembly, quality control and other
* St. Barnabas Nursing Home in Gibsonia offers comprehensive,
compassionate care for people of all ages. Duquesne Light volunteers
will escort and interact with senior residents.
* Pennsylvania Organization for Women in Early Recovery (POWER) in
Swissvale provides quality treatment and support to women who are
changing their lives through recovery from addiction to alcohol and
other drugs. Volunteers will assist with painting and other
* Lemington Center in East Liberty provides healthcare and nursing
services to residents. Volunteers will escort and interact with
* Westinghouse Valley Human Services Center in Turtle Creek is a
one-stop shop designed to address the social needs of the Mon Valley.
Volunteers will assist with painting and light cleaning.
* Lifesteps in Beaver helps children, mentally and physically challenged
adults and families in crisis. Volunteers will interact with young
clients and assist with maintenance duties.
"Living the Dream provides a hands-on opportunity for Duquesne Light
employee volunteers to recognize and honor the unselfish contributions of
Dr. King," said Coates. "We are more than happy to act in his spirit on
behalf of those in need within our communities."
Organization Address Contact Person Phone
1. Beaver County 1517 Sixth Ave. Frank Shialabba 724-847-1306
Rehabilitation New Brighton, PA
2. St. Barnabas 5827 Meridian Rd. Pamela Dixon 724-444-5556
Nursing Home Gibsonia, PA
3. P.O.W.E.R. 7445 Church St. Karen Clark 412-271-0500
Swissvale, PA Ext. 125
4. Lemington 1625 Lincoln Ave. Raymont Conner 412-441-3700
Center East Liberty, PA
5. Westinghouse 519 Penn Ave. Randy Thomas 412-829-7112
Valley Human Turtle Creek, PA
6. Lifesteps (Formerly Easter Melissa Berg 724-774-6494
Seal Centers, Inc.)
138 Friendship Circle
About Duquesne Light Company
Duquesne Light Company is a leader in the transmission and distribution of
electric energy, offering technological innovation and superior customer
service and reliability to more than half a million direct customers
throughout southwestern Pennsylvania.
SOURCE Duquesne Light