NEW YORK, Jan. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Scholastic (NASDAQ: SCHL), the global children's publishing, education and media company, today announced that Duriya Aziz is promoted to Senior Vice President, International Education Publisher in the International division, reporting to Shane Armstrong, President, Scholastic International. Dr. Aziz joined Scholastic in May 2011 as Vice President, Educational Publishing in the International group. In less than three years, she has built a strong publishing team in Singapore and India and has created a suite of quality English and mathematics instructional programs and materials that have gained traction in both developed and emerging global markets.
In making the announcement, Shane Armstrong said, "While Scholastic has long been recognized around the world as a publisher and distributor of quality children's books, we are rapidly growing our footprint and expanding our product range in educational publishing in international markets. Duriya has played a major role in the growth of International Education at Scholastic and, working closely with the Scholastic Education division in the U.S., will continue to develop quality programs and drive further growth in global markets."
Under Dr. Aziz's leadership, Scholastic International has developed the following programs:
- PR1ME, a mathematics program that brings together proven successful teaching methods from nations that lead the world in mathematics achievement and is launching soon;
- Active English, a literacy program for second language learners in English schools around the world;
- A range of English language learner supplemental materials;
- Study Smart, high-quality workbooks developed by teachers to support children in mastering literacy and numeracy skills; and
- Learning Express, English and mathematics activity books adapted from original product created by the U.S. Teaching Resources team.
Scholastic's International Education programs are now sold in 26 countries across the globe.
Duriya Aziz earned her doctorate at the Leeds Metropolitan University and also holds a bachelor's degree in English Language and Literature from the Open University. She holds graduate degrees in Business Administration and English Studies from the University of Strathclyde and the National University of Singapore, respectively.
For more information about Scholastic and Scholastic International, visit our media room: http://mediaroom.scholastic.com
SOURCE Scholastic Inc.