EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J., April 18, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Gold Medal Service, a BBB A+ rated heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical service company servicing more than 125,000 homeowners throughout New Jersey, wants to help area homeowners improve the energy efficiency of their homes leading up to Earth Day on April 22.
The 115 million households in the U.S. today collectively account for nearly a quarter of the country's energy usage, according to Energy.gov, with the average family spending upwards of $2,200 a month on their utility bills. In New Jersey, electricity costs are some of the highest in the nation, meaning higher than average utility bills for area homeowners.
"From whole-home energy audits to simply swapping out a water guzzling toilet, there are dozens of ways homeowners can make their homes more energy efficient," said Mike Agugliaro, co-owner of Gold Medal Service. "Even a few small changes can have a big impact on energy consumption, helping the Earth and helping to lower energy bills at the same time."
The experts at Gold Medal Service offer New Jersey homeowners these five home upgrades to make their abodes more energy efficient this Earth Day:
- On-demand hot water heater – on-demand or "tankless" hot water systems heat water as-needed, which saves energy and money. New ENERGY STAR® tankless water heaters can reduce your annual water costs by up to 30 percent and last nearly 20 years, double the lifespan of an average, traditional hot water heater.
- Smart thermostat – an easy and inexpensive way to instantly make your heating and cooling system more efficient is with a programmable thermostat. New programmable thermostats allow you to set your home at different temperatures for different times of day, so you aren't paying to heat or cool your home when no one is there. An added benefit of smart thermostats is you can control them remotely using a simple application on your smartphone.
- LED lights – swap out your old incandescent lights for ENERGY STAR qualified LED lighting and you'll consume 75 percent less energy. In addition to being more energy efficient, LED lights last up to 50 times longer than incandescent lights and up to five times longer than fluorescent ones, saving you time replacing burnt out bulbs.
- Whole home energy management system – the average home gets hit with over 20 energy spikes per day. These can wreak havoc on your appliances and energy bills, but they are easy to prevent with a home energy management system that includes surge protection. These systems can help you get up to 30 percent more life out of your appliances and electronic equipment and some of the best ones on the market come with lifetime warranties and warranties for all major appliances they protect.
- Ceiling fans – adding ceiling fans to your home is a low-cost way to reduce energy consumption. During hot summer days, ceiling fans can reduce cooling costs by up to 40 percent. Even in the winter, a ceiling fan helps circulate air and can save you up to 10 percent on your heating bill.
For New Jersey residents who want a hand improving the energy efficiency of their homes, an HVAC, plumbing and electrical professional can assess a home's current energy usage and recommend a variety of ways to make it more efficient.
For more information about energy saving tips and products from the BBB A+ rated Gold Medal Service, visit www.goldmedalservice.com.
About Gold Medal Service
Gold Medal Service was founded in by two New Jersey natives in 1994. Their vision was to provide homeowners with a reliable and trustworthy home service company customers could count on to fix just about anything that could go wrong in a home. Since then Gold Medal has grown to include more than 170 employees and experts solving plumbing, heating, cooling, electric, drain, sewer and waterproofing issues for homeowners across the state of New Jersey. Gold Medal Service is a Dave Lennox Award recipient, exclusive to the top 25 Lennox Premier Dealers throughout the Unites States and Canada. For more information, call 800-576-GOLD or visit www.goldmedalservice.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/earth-day-home-energy-saving-tips-from-gold-medal-service-300252559.html
SOURCE Gold Medal Service