Earth Rangers and Nature Conservancy of Canada announce $500,000 donation from HSBC Bank Canada to help children across the country Bring Back the Wild!
TORONTO, May 29, 2012 /CNW/ - Earth Rangers and the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) today announced a $500,000 donation from HSBC Bank Canada to help bring hands-on, experiential conservation education to school children across the country. Earth Rangers and the NCC will each receive $250,000 over a five year period, starting in 2012.
HSBC Bank Canada's donation will:
- Help Earth Rangers' National Tour reach an additional 250 schools across Canada over the next five years. Earth Rangers' School Outreach Program educates students about the threats facing biodiversity and empowers them to take action to help protect wild animals and their habitats.
- Help 10,000 children across Canada get started with a $5 donation to their Bring Back the Wild! fundraising campaign account. Bring Back the Wild! is a collaboration between Earth Rangers and the NCC that educates children about the importance of biodiversity and empowers them to take direct action by raising funds to protect endangered animals and the wild spaces they need to survive.
- Support Nature Day events, which provide adventures in conservation at select NCC sites across the country for school children aged 10-12. This youth-focused program will get children from schools in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver out working with the NCC's conservation biologists, learning first-hand how to care for some of the country's most vulnerable natural areas.
"We believe that education and the environment are fundamental building blocks for the development of healthy communities," said Lindsay Gordon, President and Chief Executive Officer, HSBC Bank Canada. "We are delighted to support Earth Rangers and the Nature Conservancy of Canada in their collaborative approach to environmental education, enabling thousands of children across the country to better understand what they can do to protect Canada's natural habitat and wildlife."
"Earth Rangers is dedicated to educating children about biodiversity loss and inspiring them to Bring Back the Wild. Each year we reach over one million children through our programs and website. HSBC Bank Canada's generous five year commitment will enable us to bring the wonders of wildlife into even more classrooms across Canada and will directly empower 10,000 children's campaigns to protect wild animals and their habitats," says Peter Kendall, Earth Rangers' Executive Director and co-CEO. "Thanks to HSBC Bank Canada's support, Earth Rangers and the Nature Conservancy of Canada are working together to empower the next generation of environmental stewards."
"Through the Nature Days program we will bring conservation to life for youth," remarked John Lounds, CEO and president of the Nature Conservancy of Canada. "We know that the future caretakers of our land are sitting in classrooms across the country today. HSBC Bank Canada's commitment will help us to inspire young people to take action to protect the rich diversity of nature in Canada for many generations to come."
- Earth Rangers and the NCC will each receive a $250,000 donation from HSBC Bank Canada over a five year period, starting in 2012.
- Since launching in 2010 Earth Rangers' Bring Back the Wild! School program has reached over 300,000 students and has inspired over 150,000 children to start their own Bring Back the Wild! campaigns.
- Through online and school based fundraising Earth Rangers' members have raised over $360,000 to help protect habitat for endangered wildlife in Canada.
- The Nature Conservancy of Canada is celebrating 50 years of land conservation success from coast to coast, looking ahead to another 50 years of building a natural legacy for our children and grandchildren.
Bring Back the Wild!
For more information on Earth Rangers and the Nature Conservancy of Canada's Bring Back the Wild! program please go to www.earthrangers.com .
About the Nature Conservancy of Canada
The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation's leading not-for-profit private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962 NCC and its partners have helped to protect more than 2.6 million acres (1 million hectares) coast to coast. To learn more visit: www.natureconservancy.ca.
About Earth Rangers
Earth Rangers is an award-winning charitable organization dedicated to educating children about biodiversity loss and empowering them to Bring Back the Wild. Building on children's natural connection to wildlife, Earth Rangers' focus is to communicate to children a positive science - based message on the importance of protecting biodiversity and adopting more sustainable behaviors. Through programs including a children's website - www.earthrangers.com, a permanent studio at the Royal Ontario Museum and an Education Outreach Program featuring live Animal Ambassadors, Earth Rangers is able to reach, inspire and enable millions of children each year to take action to help ensure the lasting survival of species in Canada.
Please explore Earth Rangers Online Community:
www.ercshowcase.com (online building tour)
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/bringbackthewild
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/@EarthRangers
Earth Rangers YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/EarthRangersBBtW
About HSBC Bank Canada
HSBC Bank Canada, a subsidiary of HSBC Holdings plc, is the leading international bank in Canada. With around 7,200 offices in over 80 countries and territories and assets of US$2,637 billion at 31 March 2012, the HSBC Group is one of the world's largest banking and financial services organizations.
For more information about Corporate Sustainability at HSBC Bank Canada, visit www.hsbc.ca/sustainability
SOURCE Earth Rangers