BOULDER, Colo., March 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Engredea and the NEXT Innovation Summit, the ingredient and supply chains' premier annual events, wrap up delivering innovative concepts, novel partnerships and an extensive international exhibitor and attendee showing. Engredea and the NEXT Innovation Summit were held at the Anaheim (CA) Convention Center last week co-located with Natural Products Expo West, and are produced by New Hope Natural Media, a division of Penton.
The top 10 functional ingredients were revealed by Todd Runestad, editor-in-chief of Functional Ingredients during his standing-room-only, Ingredient Market Forecast address. These include:
- Vitamin K2
- Vitamin D
- Non-animal protein
- Adaptogens (e.g., schizandra, rhodiola, ashwaghanda)
- Good fats: omega-3s DHA and EPA, phospholipids from krill cannabis
"The energy, excitement, and innovation was undeniably palpable," said Erica Stone, Managing Director of the Engredea portfolio. "Our show is the only supply show within the food and beverage channel, internationally, to vet each exhibitor based on their product claims and compliance. This unique standards program ensures our attendees will connect with suppliers of utmost integrity such as OmniActive, Alpha Packaging, Ingredion, Tate & Lyle, Chromadex, and Ganeden."
Engredea is the only trade show that brings together the full food chain of supply to shelf for the global nutrition industry, including innovative ingredients, trailblazing technology, training and research to better position any brand or product in the global nutrition industry. The Engredea conference delivered information on global ingredient sourcing, regulatory, GMP compliance and new market trends.
"During this year's show it was interesting to see what omega-3-centric companies like Aker BioMarine are doing on the sustainability front, as this seems to be a hot topic across the natural products industry," said Becky Wright, Communications & Marketing Manager for Aker BioMarine Antarctic US. "Going forward, our goal is to make Aker BioMarine synonymous with krill education, with all of our initiatives designed to teach about the health benefits, sustainability and business advantages of omega-3s from krill. Engredea and Expo West offer us many formats to help get those points across."
The NEXT Innovation Summit brought together the nutrition, health, and technology industries in a two-day conference to discuss the macro forces changing the way we innovate and do business, from globalization and the circular economy to personalized healthcare and hand-held technologies as well as a deep dive into important issues, trends, and science shaping innovation.
Josh Tetrick, the CEO and Founder of Hampton Creek, delivered the closing keynote at the NEXT Innovation Summit, and spoke to key drivers for brands to successfully launch and thrive in the national and international food and beverage market – affordability and accessibility, clean and conscious products and innovation based on both food and health science.
The winners of the 16th annual NutrAward were:
- Micropharma, for best new functional ingredient, for its probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri NCIMB 30242, which has the property of lowering cholesterol levels as well as additional cardiovascular and metabolic benefits.
- UAS LifeSciences, for best new finished product, for its UP4 Kids Cubes Probiotic, a vanilla-flavored chewable using the strain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1, for digestive and immune health.
The third annual Editors' Choice Award recipients, hand-selected by editors of Functional Ingredients magazine and Nutrition Business Journal (NBJ) include:
- Best ingredient for a food: QuinoaSure. The first instant quinoa powder; suitable for infant food, soups, sauces.
- Best ingredient for a supplement: Dead Sea Moringa. A nutrient-rich plant food that contains 90 nutrients.
- Best ingredient for a beverage: Cargill's ViaTech™, a new stevia based sweetener portfolio for zero-calorie and reduced-calorie food and beverage formulations.
- Best botanical: Helios Corp. EstroG-100 for menopausal symptom relief.
- Most novel: Go Wild Australia's kakadu plum, the world's richest source of vitamin C also good as a topical for skin care and a natural preservative.
- Best science: Sabinsa's Curcumin C3 Reduct, a new curcumin source that removes the yellow color, and easier to formulate with.
- Best marketing: LycoRed.
- Best partnership: Rimfrost, SUBLIME Krill oil - joint venture of Avoca and Olympic Seafood.
The Engredea Service Provider Tour debuted this year, attracting new brands launching product lines, as well as, top media looking for emerging trends. This tour was held before the show floor opened, for an exclusive opportunity to meet the brands specializing in functional ingredients, testing, certifications, packaging, and the latest in non-gmo ingredients.
Engredea and the NEXT Innovation Summit 2015 will be held March 5-8 in Anaheim, California.
For more information on Engredea, visit www.engredea.com. For more information on the NEXT Innovation Summit, visit www.nextinnovationsummit.com. For the latest industry news visit newhope360.com/supply-home.
The tradeshow for the global supply market, Engredea showcases new ingredients, technologies, applications and services for healthy foods-and-beverages, dietary supplement/bioactive and nutricosmetic markets. Engredea is co-located with Natural Products Expo West and the NEXT Innovation Summit.
About the NEXT Innovation Summit
NEXT Innovation Summit is the premier education and networking conference for the health and nutrition industry. The conference provides relevant insights for innovation based on science and technology, case studies and market.
Penton is a leading professional information services company that engages and informs millions of professionals every day, helping them grow and solve their most critical business challenges. As a provider of critical workflow solutions and insightful content, marketing services and networking, Penton helps businesses do business in five core growth markets: agriculture, transportation, natural products/food, infrastructure, and industrial design/manufacturing.
Penton is a growth company with a track-record of strong performance and success and is backed by its co-owners: MidOcean Partners and U.S. Equity Partners II, an investment fund sponsored by Wasserstein & Co., LP.
For additional information on the company and its businesses, visit www.penton.com.
New Hope Natural Media