SAN DIEGO and BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Dec. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
This holiday season, NCAA football fans will be able to watch live,
full-length college bowl games from a variety of broadcast and cable
networks on their mobile phones.
Verizon Wireless, the nation's leading wireless provider, and MediaFLO
USA, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq:
QCOM), have teamed up to bring fans full-length coverage of 24 bowl games,
kicking off with ESPN Mobile TV's telecast of the Poinsettia Bowl on
December 20 and wrapping up with ESPN's GMAC Bowl on January 6. Coverage of
the 2008 bowl games will be provided by ESPN Mobile TV, CBS Mobile and FOX
Mobile through V CAST Mobile TV from Verizon Wireless, a service of
V CAST Mobile TV subscribers will have convenient access to some of the
season's biggest college football moments right on their phones -- a
significant benefit for sports fans traveling during the holidays. ESPN
Mobile TV, ESPN's first 24/7 channel for the mobile platform, will provide
several highly anticipated, must-see games, including the Alamo Bowl on
December 29, which will pit two schools steeped in college football
tradition against one another with Penn State taking on Texas A&M, and
Alabama head coach Nick Saban will cap off his first year back on the
college sidelines as his Alabama Crimson Tide faces off against the
Colorado Buffaloes in the PetroSun Independence Bowl on December 30.
Additionally, the Virginia Cavaliers will look to put the clamps on the
high-scoring Texas Tech Red Raiders in the Gator Bowl on January 1 on CBS
Mobile, and FOX Mobile will broadcast the Cotton Bowl on January 1, pitting
Arkansas against Big XII runner-up, the University of Missouri.
Must-see 2007 bowl games offered through channels on Verizon Wireless'
V CAST Mobile TV service include:
* San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl (Utah v. Navy,
December 20) - ESPN Mobile TV
* R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (Memphis v. Florida Atlantic,
December 21) - ESPN Mobile TV
* Papa John's.com (Southern Missouri v. Cincinnati, December 22) - ESPN
* New Mexico Bowl (Nevada v. New Mexico, December 22) - ESPN Mobile TV
* Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl (UCLA v. BYU, December 22) - ESPN Mobile TV
* Sheraton Hawaii Bowl (Boise State v. East Carolina, December 23) -
ESPN Mobile TV
* Motor City Bowl (Purdue v. Central Michigan, December 26) - ESPN
* Pacific Life Holiday Bowl (Arizona State v. Texas, December 27) - ESPN
* Champs Sports Bowl (Boston College v. Michigan State, December 28) -
ESPN Mobile TV
* Emerald Bowl (Maryland v. Oregon State, December 28) - ESPN Mobile TV
* Meinke Car Care Bowl (UConn v. Wake Forest, December 29) - ESPN Mobile
* AutoZone Liberty Bowl (UCF v. Mississippi State, December 29) - ESPN
* Valero Alamo Bowl (Penn State v. Texas A&M, December 29) - ESPN Mobile
* PetroSun Independence Bowl (Alabama v. Colorado, December 30) - ESPN
* Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl (California v. Air Force,
December 31) - ESPN Mobile TV
* Roady's Humanitarian Bowl (Georgia Tech v. Fresno State, December 31)
- ESPN Mobile TV
* Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl (Kentucky v. Florida State,
December 31) - ESPN Mobile TV
* Chick-fil-A Bowl (Clemson v. Auburn, December 31) - ESPN Mobile TV
* Brut Sun Bowl (South Florida v. Oregon, December 31) - CBS Mobile TV
* Gator Bowl (Texas Tech v. Virginia , January 1) - CBS Mobile TV
* Outback Bowl (Wisconsin v. Tennessee, January 1) - ESPN Mobile TV
* AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic (Missouri v. Arkansas, January 1) - FOX
* International Bowl (Rutgers v. Ball State, January 5) - ESPN Mobile TV
* GMAC Bowl (Bowling Green v. Tulsa, January 6) - ESPN Mobile TV
** Note that all programming is subject to change and blackouts.
"Now that the 2007 season is coming to a head, sports fans won't want
to miss a second of the most anticipated match-ups of the year," said
Michael Boyd, vice president of licensing and research at MediaFLO USA.
"The channels available on our FLO TV service give fans the flexibility to
catch some of their favorite college teams without missing a single play of
the game -- even if they are away from the TV."
Ryan Hughes, vice president of digital media programming for Verizon,
noted, "By bringing 24 bowl games to V CAST Mobile TV customers from ESPN
Mobile TV, CBS Mobile and Fox Mobile, Verizon Wireless is once again
demonstrating our commitment to deliver the best, exclusive programming
available on mobile phones. From the Colorado Buffaloes to the Florida
State Seminoles, Verizon Wireless' V CAST Mobile TV service keeps sports
fans in the game during the busy holiday season."
Since the launch of MediaFLO USA and V CAST Mobile TV in March 2007,
content partners ESPN Mobile TV, CBS Mobile, FOX Mobile and others have
aired hundreds of hours of live sporting events, from U.S. Open golf, Big
XII college football, English Premier League soccer and MLS soccer to the X
Games, NASCAR racing and tennis from Wimbledon. The 2008 programming lineup
will provide even more variety and selection for Verizon subscribers.
The FLO TV(TM) service is provided by MediaFLO USA and is available to
consumers as V CAST Mobile TV from Verizon Wireless. In addition to CBS
Mobile, ESPN Mobile TV and FOX Mobile, the V Cast Mobile TV service offers
Verizon Wireless customers channels from Comedy Central, MTV: Music
Television, NBC News2Go, NBC2Go and Nickelodeon. More information on FLO TV
can be found at http://www.flotv.com.
V CAST Mobile TV is live in more than 50 cities from coast to coast,
including Atlanta, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York and
Philadelphia. A complete list of available markets, V CAST Mobile TV
capable phones -- which includes the must-have phone of the holiday season,
the Voyager(TM) by LG -- and pricing information is available at
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and
data network, serving 62.1 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless
company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon
Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 67,000 employees
nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:
VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at
http://www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality
video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations,
log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at
About MediaFLO USA, Inc.
MediaFLO USA, Inc. unleashes the power of TV for mobile consumers,
combining the best content, an intuitive user interface and a superior
multicast network to deliver a true TV experience. The award-winning
MediaFLO USA mobile entertainment service, called FLO TV, offers
full-length simulcast and time-shifted programming from the world's best
entertainment brands, including CBS Mobile, Comedy Central, ESPN Mobile TV,
FOX Mobile, MTV: Music Television, NBC2Go, NBC News 2Go and Nickelodeon.
The FLO TV service also will deliver short-format clips and real-time
information and entertainment services. Based in San Diego, Calif.,
MediaFLO USA is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated. Further
information is available at http://www.mediaflousa.com.
Qualcomm is a registered trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated. MediaFLO
and FLO TV are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. All other trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.
Melinda Hutcheon, MediaFLO USA Inc.
Emily Kilpatrick, Corporate Communications
John Gilbert, Investor Relations
Verizon Wireless Contact:
Jeffrey Nelson, Corporate Communications
SOURCE Qualcomm Incorporated