- Last night's broadcast is the most-watched series premiere from an
American or Canadian series in nearly a decade -
- Nearly one in three English Canadians watching television tuned into premiere episode -
- THE AMAZING RACE CANADA becomes the most-watched Canadian entertainment program since the CORNER GAS finale in 2009 -
- THE AMAZING RACE CANADA premieres tonight on TSN -
To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/17jna6Y
"The Great White North's instalment of the fastpaced reality series sports all the hallmarks that's made the show such a hit: stunning scenery, confounding challenges and compelling contestants, some with inspiring backstories that will bring viewers to tears and others whose inability to follow simple instructions will cost them, big time." - Ruth Myles, Calgary Herald
"Monday's debut demonstrated that no country on Earth has the variety of vistas we enjoy within our own vast boundaries." - Bill Brioux, Toronto Star
TORONTO, July 16, 2013 /CNW/ - CTV's THE AMAZING RACE CANADA is the country's newest blockbuster hit TV series. Following an unprecedented promotion and publicity campaign, the much-anticipated series premiere smashed records last night with an amazing audience of 3 million viewers on CTV. It was the highest-rated series premiere of a Canadian series ever, and the most-watched series debut overall in nearly a decade, since CSI: NY premiere to 3.2 viewers in 2004. The premiere of THE AMAZING RACE CANADA becomes the most-watched Canadian entertainment program since the CORNER GAS finale drew 3 million viewers in April 2009. Overall, five million unique viewers watched the premiere, with the audience growing throughout the broadcast to peak at 3.5 million viewers when host Jon Montgomery revealed that Treena and Tennille had been eliminated from the first leg of the race. The episode is available now on demand across CTV's digital platforms, including CTV.ca, the CTV App, the CTV Mobile channel on Bell Mobile TV, and through video on demand partners such as Bell Fibe TV, and premieres tonight on TSN at 12 midnight ET/PT.
**Media Note** - Download photos from THE AMAZING RACE CANADA at BellMediaPR.ca.
"THE AMAZING RACE CANADA has raced into the homes of the nation," said Phil King, President, CTV Programming and Sports. "Congratulations to everyone involved for delivering the must-see show of the summer."
Also to note:
- Overwhelmingly winning Monday in all key demos in all key markets, THE AMAZING RACE CANADA delivered a national audience of 1.5 million viewers aged 25-54 and 1.4 million viewers aged 18-49.
- Nearly one in three English Canadians (2+) watching television last night were tuned into THE AMAZING RACE CANADA, delivering more than a 33% share in the key 18-49 and 25-54 demos nationally, more than 25% in all markets, and up to a 39.8 share among A18-34.
- For A25-54, the premiere delivered ratings of 9.3 in Toronto, 7.3 in Vancouver, 7.5 in Edmonton, and 7.2 in Calgary.
#RaceCDA trended on Twitter during the broadcast and into the following morning as all nine @RaceCDA teams flocked to Twitter to live tweet throughout the series premiere. More than 5,600 mentions of #RaceCDA-related terms were delivered in Canada in the 24 hours surrounding the broadcast. Next week on THE AMAZING RACE CANADA (airing Monday, July 22 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on CTV and live on CTV Mobile), the eight remaining teams race to Vancouver, BC, where they become tangled in the urban jungle and tripped up on the ice. The remaining competitors vying for the historic half a million dollar grand prize are:
- HAL and JOANNE - Married "BodyBreak" Fitness Icons
- HOLLY and BRETT- Married Doctors
- JAMIE and PIERRE - Best Friends
- JET and DAVE - Best Friends
- JODY and CORY - Brothers
- KRISTEN and DARREN - Dating Couple
- TIM SR. and TIM JR. - Father and Son
- VANESSA and CELINA - Sisters
Anchoring CTV's Summer 2013 schedule, THE AMAZING RACE CANADA airs Mondays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on CTV and live on CTV Mobile visit CTV.ca to confirm local broadcast times), as well as on demand across CTV's digital platforms: including CTV.ca, the CTV App, the CTV Mobile channel on Bell Mobile TV, and through video on demand partners such as Bell Fibe TV following the broadcast.
Fans of the series can also catch additional Race action online with the digital companion series INSIDE THE RACE WITH BLACKBERRY. Hosted by Danielle McGimsie (@MissDMcG and Teddy Wilson @TeddyWilson), this week's episode features THE AMAZING RACE CANADA host Jon Montgomery as he joins Danielle and Teddy to reflect on last night's drama-filled premiere, while giving viewers the inside scoop on all the action. Plus, viewers are treated to an exclusive BBM video chat interview with the cowboys from Alberta, Jamie and Pierre.
THE AMAZING RACE CANADA also airs on TSN Tuesdays at 12 midnight ET/PT beginning July 16, RDS2 on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. ET beginning July 17, and on TSN2 on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT beginning July 17.
CTV is Canada's #1 private broadcaster. Featuring a wide range of quality news, sports, information, and entertainment programming, CTV has been Canada's most-watched television network for the past 12 years in a row. CTV is a division of Bell Media, Canada's premier multimedia company with leading assets in television, radio and digital. Bell Media is owned by BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company. More information about CTV can be found on the network's website at CTV.ca.
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:
Source: BBM Canada
CTV electronic audience databases incorporate data beginning in 1994. Audiences prior to August 31, 2009 based on BBM Nielsen Media Research Mark II meters.