Fight Colorectal Cancer Battles Cancer at One of the Busiest Attractions in the World
March 1st 2013 Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month Kick-off Event in Times Square
NEW YORK, March 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Intended for U.S. Media Only -- Fight Colorectal Cancer, the United States' leading colorectal cancer advocacy organization, today launched One Million Strong, a national awareness campaign designed to unify survivors and those touched by colorectal cancer (CRC), the second-leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the country. Bayer supports Fight Colorectal Cancer and the group's efforts with One Million Strong, which kicks off at one of the most instantly recognizable locations in the world: the NASDAQ MarketSite in Times Square, New York City.
What is the Campaign About?
Inspired by the over one million colorectal cancer survivors in the United States, Fight Colorectal Cancer has launched One Million Strong to raise awareness about CRC and create action that will lead to better prevention, diagnosis, patient treatment and care. One Million Strong captures and shares inspirational stories of strength and passion from those affected by CRC. As part of the campaign, Fight Colorectal Cancer is asking people to pledge to raise awareness, be an advocate and encourage others to join the fight against colorectal cancer.
"We want to unify survivors and those touched by this preventable cancer," said Carlea Bauman, President of Fight Colorectal Cancer. "We believe that together, as community, we can amplify our collective voice and motivate others to stand up and support the fight for a cure."
"Nearly 150,000 Americans will be diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 2013, and the patient experience can vary widely – from recently diagnosed, early-stage disease, to those in later stages – all of whom need support," said Joseph Germino, Vice President of Medical Affairs, Oncology, Bayer HealthCare.1 "Bayer is proud to support colorectal cancer education, and the efforts of Fight Colorectal Cancer to raise awareness of CRC and the needs of all people living with CRC."
Fight Colorectal Cancer believes that strength comes from sharing your story, speaking up and taking action. Anyone with access to a camera phone, Twitter or Facebook can be an advocate for prevention, treatment and research. For more information and to take the pledge, please visit www.CRCMillionStrong.org.
On the Ground in Times Square
Join One Million Strong on March 1st, 2013 at the NASDAQ MarketSite Tower, located on 43rd Street & Broadway, New York City, NY from 9am to 5pm. Media are encouraged to attend at 3:30pm for interviews with Fight Colorectal Cancer.
Activities for the public include:
- A ceremony and tweet up in Times Square to celebrate the official debut of a new Public Service Announcement, playing on NASDAQ towers 1 and 2 from March 1st to 7th.
- Distribution of educational information about colon health and collection of pledges to join One Million Strong on iPads; distribution of 25,000 blue star tattoos to show support.
- Free dance and yoga classes promoting a healthy lifestyle.
- An interactive photo booth taking pictures of people showing their strength and commitment to raising awareness about CRC by flexing their muscles. The best picture of the day will be posted on a NASDAQ board at the end of the day on March 1st, 2013.
- The Prevent Cancer Super Colon, an 8-foot tall, 20-foot long model colon that lets you see for yourself the difference between healthy and diseased tissue. See why when detected early, this cancer is preventable, treatable and beatable.
- Volunteer advocates wearing blue One Million Strong gear (the color for colorectal cancer) on the ground.
About Colorectal Cancer
Colorectal cancer (CRC) is one of the most prevalent cancers in the world, with over one million cases occurring every year. Globally, more than 600,000 patients die from CRC each year.2
CRC patient prognosis is dependent on the stage of the cancer at the time of diagnosis, but since most people with CRC have no symptoms in early stages, it can grow 'silently' for years.3 When clinical symptoms do occur, the tumor is often in an advanced stage, with approximately 25% of CRC patients presenting with metastatic disease at the time of diagnosis; many face the possibility that the cancer may return despite treatment.4,5
As with many cancers, early detection helps fight the disease.3 Everyone currently living with CRC, including those with late-stage disease, should be working closely with their healthcare team on various aspects of their care.
About Fight Colorectal Cancer
Fight Colorectal Cancer is the leading national colorectal cancer advocacy organization, empowering advocates, pushing for better policies and supporting cutting edge and innovative research for colorectal cancer screening and treatment. For more information, visit www.FightColorectalCancer.org.
About Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. is the U.S.-based pharmaceuticals business of Bayer HealthCare LLC, a subsidiary of Bayer AG. Bayer HealthCare is one of the world's leading, innovative companies in the healthcare and medical products industry, and combines the activities of the Animal Health, Consumer Care, Medical Care and Pharmaceuticals divisions. As a specialty pharmaceutical company, Bayer HealthCare provides products for General Medicine, Hematology, Neurology, Oncology and Women's Healthcare. The company's aim is to discover and manufacture products that will improve human health worldwide by diagnosing, preventing and treating diseases.
Bayer® and the Bayer Cross® are registered trademarks of Bayer.
- American Cancer Society. Key statistics for colorectal cancer. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003096-pdf.pdf. Accessed on February 21, 2013.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. GLOBOCAN 2008 Cancer Fact Sheet: Colorectal Cancer. Available at: http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheets/cancers/colorectal.asp. Accessed on February 21, 2013.
- American Cancer Society. Colorectal Cancer Facts and Figures 2011-2013. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-028323.pdf. Accessed on February 21, 2013.
- Van Cutsem E., Nordlinger B., Cervantes A. on behalf of the ESMO Guidelines Working Group. Advanced colorectal cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for treatment. Ann Oncol. 2010; 21(5): v93-v97.
- Goldberg R. Intensive Surveillance After Stage II or III Colorectal Cancer: Is It Worth It? Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2006; (24(3): 330-331.
SOURCE Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.; Fight Colorectal Cancer
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.