Ford Celebrates Production Launch of the Only Front-Wheel-Drive Hybrid Transmission To Be Made in North America
STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich., Aug. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford's Van Dyke Transmission Plant adds hybrid transmission capacity thanks to a new, flexible assembly line supporting Ford C-MAX Hybrid, C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid, Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid and Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
- Ford adds 225 new jobs at Van Dyke Transmission, bringing jobs in-house while helping deliver on its commitment to provide customers the power of choice for fuel-efficient vehicles
- Ford and its suppliers invest $220 million to transform Van Dyke Transmission as part of a $632 million commitment to North American transmission facilities
Ford launches a new era of clean tech and job growth with today's debut of a new flexible assembly line at Van Dyke Transmission Plant, making Ford North America's only producer of front-wheel-drive hybrid transmissions.
Ford and suppliers are investing $220 million to transform Van Dyke Transmission into a modern operation capable of producing Ford's new hybrid transmission – HF35 – as well as other fuel-efficient transmissions. The investments are part of a $632 million commitment Ford and its suppliers are making to increase capacity and flexibility at three North American transmission facilities by 2015.
The new assembly line and other capacity actions at Van Dyke Transmission include the addition of 225 new jobs, part of Ford's commitment to add 12,000 U.S. hourly jobs by 2015. The plant recently added 130 jobs as part of the hybrid transmission launch, with the remaining workers scheduled to start work by the end of the month. Van Dyke now has a total of 1,350 workers.
"Our investments in Van Dyke Transmission make it our most advanced, efficient transmission plant in the world," said Jim Tetreault , vice president of North America Manufacturing. "This demonstrates our commitment to bringing jobs and technology back into Ford and North America – actions that not only benefit our employees but our customers and the communities where we do business."
HF35, which incorporates two electric motors, is the first hybrid transmission to be designed and built by Ford. Previously, hybrid transmission production was handled by a supplier in Japan. By bringing the development work in-house, Ford reduced development costs 20 percent.
Investments at Van Dyke include manufacturing, capital equipment, launch and engineering costs, and supplier tooling upgrades. New flexible equipment allows the plant to build both HF35 and 6F, a conventional six-speed automatic transmission, at the same time.
Ford engineered the HF35 and upgraded the controls with a goal of creating the industry's highest-performing, smoothest-operating hybrid transmission. Among this hybrid transmission's innovations:
- Electric motors capable of operating at higher electric speeds
- A super-efficient new cooling system that enables higher speeds in electric drive
- Optimized gear ratios enabling improvement in fuel economy
- More precise controls to deliver higher levels of refinement as the powertrain transitions between engine and electric drive
- Reduced weight to help increase fuel economy
HF35 will be used in five electrified vehicles being introduced this year to provide customers with a range of fuel-efficient options:
- C-MAX Hybrid: Coming this fall; projected 47 mpg city, 3 mpg better than Toyota Prius v
- Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid: Coming this fall; projected to deliver 550 miles of total range, including more than 20 miles in electric-only mode – nearly double the electric-only range of the Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid
- All-new Fusion Hybrid: Coming this fall; projected 47 mpg expected to beat Toyota Camry Hybrid by 5 mpg highway
- Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid: Will begin production by the end of this year; aiming to be the most fuel-efficient midsize car in the world with more than 100 MPGe
- Lincoln MKZ Hybrid: Coming later this year; projected to remain America's most fuel-efficient midsize premium sedan.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 168,000 employees and about 65 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE Ford Motor Company
More by this Source
Ford eNews - May 22, 2013
May 22, 2013, 15:30 ET
Ford Celebra 150 años de Innovaciones
May 22, 2013, 14:09 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.