Ford's Award-Winning Supplier Diversity Development Program Exceeds Minority-Owned Business Spending Goals
DEARBORN, Mich., March 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford's Supplier Diversity Development (SDD) program continues to exceed its goals for a diverse business landscape. The automaker annually aims to source at least 10 percent of U.S. purchases from minority, women and veteran-owned businesses
- In 2012, Ford purchased $5.7 billion in goods and services from minority-owned suppliers and $1.2 billion in goods and services from women-owned businesses
- Ford is recognized by the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) as a leader in developing relationships and partnerships with women-owned businesses. Ford is celebrating its women-owned and operated business partners in March, which is National Women's History Month
Ford's Supplier Diversity Development (SDD) program aims to source at least 10 percent of U.S. purchases from minority, women and veteran-owned businesses annually. And in 2012, the automaker exceeded that goal by purchasing $5.7 billion in goods and services from minority-owned suppliers and $1.2 billion in goods and services from women-owned businesses.
"As the landscape of the country and the world changes, Ford recognizes that the contributions of diverse and veteran entrepreneurs are important to the success of its business," said Carla Preston, Supplier Diversity Development director. "The brand is committed to continuing to strengthen its chain of suppliers through its Supplier Diversity Development program."
Ford's SDD program works with community organizations, trade associations and business leaders to ensure that it continues to represent the interests of diverse businesses.
For the second year in a row, the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) has recognized those efforts and awarded Ford for its productive business partnerships with women-owned businesses and for continuing to develop business practices that complement today's marketplace.
"For more than 34 years, Ford has been committed to ensuring a diverse supply chain network," said Tony Brown, group vice president, Global Purchasing. "As Ford continues to strengthen its balance sheet, we are similarly committed to the sustainability of our minority, women and veteran suppliers."
Throughout March, which is National Women's History Month, Ford is proud to celebrate the 150 Women's Business Enterprises (WBEs) and minority-led businesses that provide goods and services to the automaker such as GDC Inc., G-TECH Services Inc. and ETCS Inc.:
- GDC, owned by Loretta Miller and based in Goshen, Ind., specializes in utilizing green technology (i.e. recycled tires) in plastic and rubber-formed products. GDC helped develop a product using coconut shells and fibers for Ford Super Duty
- G-TECH Services, a woman business enterprise based in Dearborn, Mich., has been a professional staffing supplier to Ford Motor Company for more than two decades. Under President and CEO Theresa Ghafari, the company has tripled its sales and employee numbers in the last decade alone
- ETCS, a minority-owned and operated engineering, tooling, components and staffing company located in Troy, Mich., is led by President and CEO Ravi Kapur. ETCS became a new supplier to Ford in October 2012 and provides die design
"As innovators, these business leaders are creating new sustainable products that help us meet our goal to reduce our environmental footprint while at the same time accelerate development of advanced, fuel-efficient vehicle technologies around the world," said Preston. "They have made substantial contributions to Ford's profitable growth. And we expect continued growth with our minority, women and veteran business owners for years to come."
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 171,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE Ford Motor Company
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.