LONDON, Sept. 14, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Global Respiratory Drugs Market to 2022 - Pipeline and Market Characterized by Growing Prominence of Targeted Therapies, with Asthma and Cystic Fibrosis Leading the Way
The respiratory therapy area consists of indications that affect the respiratory system in different ways, such as the scarring of lung tissue, and excessive production of mucus in the airways, thereby decreasing lung function. Some of the key indications in this therapy area include asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis (CF) and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). The causes of respiratory disorders vary significantly across each indication, and include factors such as environment, occupation, genetic predisposition and aging.
The treatment landscape for respiratory disorders has traditionally been dominated by small molecule therapies that aim to treat the disease symptoms, rather than the cause. This means that treatment options can be diverse in terms of their targets and mechanisms of action. This is most notable in CF, where patients may be prescribed a combination of drugs from several treatment categories, including mucolytic agents, bronchodilators and antibiotics. The COPD and asthma treatment landscapes employ similar symptomatic treatments, including bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroids.
However, over the past decade the treatment of respiratory disorders has developed significantly, as has the importance for novel therapies and targeted therapies. The approval of the products Orkambi and Kalydeco, in 2014 and 2012 respectively, gave patients disease-modifying treatment options for CF. Another important entry was the first biologic drug - omalizumab - approved in 2014 for the treatment of severe asthma. The trend of developing targeted therapies continued with the approval of the maintenance treatment Nucala (mepolizumab) in November 2015.
Although the more traditional non-specific symptomatic therapies continue to have a strong presence in the respiratory disorder pipeline, the pipeline also contains promising targeted biologic therapies, which reflects their growing prominence in this therapy area. Overall, 908 products are currently in active in development for respiratory disorders.
The respiratory disorders market is characterized by entrenched, commercially successful therapies.
- Which classes of drug dominate the market?
- What additional benefits have newly approved therapies brought to the market?
- What are the future prospects for the leading brands?
The pipeline contains a range of molecule types and molecular targets, with a growing presence of targeted therapies.
- Which molecular targets appear most frequently in the pipeline?
- What are the commercial prospects for the most promising late-stage pipeline products?
Respiratory disorders clinical trials have an overall attrition rate of 89.1%.
- What are the failure rates at individual phases of clinical development?
- How do the key respiratory disorders compare in terms of clinical trial failure rate?
The respiratory disorders market is forecast to rise from a value of $28.1 billion in 2015 to $46.6 billion in 2022, at a CAGR of 7.5%.
- How much of a role will pipeline product approvals play in market growth?
- Are the large number of recently approved products expected to drive market growth?
- Will generic competition have a significant impact on the market over the forecast period?
- Which products face generic competition?
Big pharma holds a notable presence in the market.
- What are the leading companies in terms of market share?
- Which companies are forecast to experience the greatest growth in market share?
- Which company will hold the largest market share in 2022?
- How dependent are the key companies on this disease cluster for revenue?
- Which companies rely heavily on this disease cluster for revenue?
Reasons to buy
This report will allow you to -
- Understand the current clinical and commercial landscape through a comprehensive study of disease pathogenesis, diagnosis, prognosis, and the current treatment landscape in respiratory disorders.
Assess the current treatment landscape, with product profiles on prominent marketed therapies, including revenue forecasts.
- Analyze the respiratory disorders pipeline and stratify by stage of development, molecule type, and molecular target. The most promising late-stage therapies are profiled and assessed in terms of clinical performance and competitiveness, alongside a single-product forecast.
- Predict growth in market size, with in-depth market forecasting from 2015 to 2022. The forecasts will provide an understanding of how epidemiology trends, new drug entries, and patent expirations will influence market value.
- Identify the leading companies in the market, in terms of market share and growth. Company analysis determines how dependent the key companies in the market are on revenue derived from respiratory disorder products. In addition, analysis determines the primary factors that will drive market growth for the key companies in the market.
- Identify commercial opportunities in the respiratory disorder deals landscape by analyzing trends in licensing and co-development deals, and by profiling the most significant deals that have occurred in this indication in recent years.
Download the full report: https://www.reportbuyer.com/product/4141092/
Reportbuyer is a leading industry intelligence solution that provides all market research reports from top publishers
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-respiratory-drugs-market-to-2022---pipeline-and-market-characterized-by-growing-prominence-of-targeted-therapies-with-asthma-and-cystic-fibrosis-leading-the-way-300328396.html