Gumstix Expands Overo(TM) Series With Three New OMAP35x-Based Modules and Two Expansion Boards Offering a Variety of Wireless, Networking, LCD and Touch Screen Options
The Overo series consist of four different modules that are based on Texas Instruments (TI) OMAP35x applications processors with an ARM(R) Cortex(TM)-A8 CPU. Each Overo COM operates at 600 MHz and includes 256MB RAM, 256 MB NAND Flash and a microSD card slot for additional on-board memory. The tiny modules (17mm x 58mm x 4.2mm) run Linux kernel
- Overo Earth COM: The popular Overo Earth is based on TI's OMAP3503 Applications Processor that features an ARM Cortex-A8 CPU.
- Overo Air COM: Overo Air provides the same features and function as Overo Earth while adding WLAN and Bluetooth(R) capabilities by way of the on-board W2CBW003 module from Wi2Wi.
- Overo Water COM: Overo Water has been developed with the high-performing TI MAP3530 Applications Processor instead of an OMAP3503. The OMAP3530 adds the TMS320C64x+ DSP and OpenGL(R) ES graphics engine to the Cortex CPU to enhance applications designs with such features as a smart user interfaces and photo-realistic graphics.
- Overo Fire COM: Overo Fire builds on the OMAP3530-driven Overo Water by providing WLAN and Bluetooth communications through the same Wi2Wi module as used on Overo Air.
"We are excited to see Gumstix enhance their Overo series with the addition of these OMAP3530-based COM modules with 3D graphics acceleration, programmable DSP, wireless communications and network expansion options," said
Since each Overo is a computer-on-module and easily expandable, design engineers can leverage the Overo to get their new product ideas to market much faster than building from scratch. As such, each Overo COM is recommended for integration into commercial products projected to sell up to 50,000 units each year.
- Palo43 expansion board: Drives a 4.3" Samsung LCD with touch screen @ 16 bpp through a 45-pin FPC connector and delivers USB Host, USB OTG, audio in and audio out. There is also a 40-pin unpopulated standard header for PWM, I2C, SPI, A/D, processor control, GPIO and analog signals.
- Tobi expansion board: Delivers 10/100baseT Ethernet, drive a DVI display and delivers USB Host, USB OTG, audio in and audio out. There is also a 40-pin unpopulated standard header for PWM, I2C, SPI, A/D, processor control, GPIO and analog signals.
- Summit expansion board: Drives a DVI display and delivers USB Host, USB OTG, audio in and audio out. There is also a 40-pin unpopulated standard header for PWM, I2C, SPI, A/D, processor control, GPIO and analog signals.
For orders of 1,000 units or more, Overo COM modules can be configured from USD
In keeping with the company's openness, extensive online documentation is available at the Gumstix Developer's website http://www.gumstix.net. The schematics of all Gumstix expansion boards are freely published at http://pubs.gumstix.com so that a commercial design engineer can rapidly develop an expansion board(s) to suit particular client requirements.
For more information on TI's OMAP35x applications processors, visit www.ti.com/omap35x.
About Gumstix, Inc.
Founded in 2003, Gumstix develops, manufactures and markets tiny computers-on-module and related expansion products to customers located in more than 40 countries worldwide. Gumstix products are ideal for commercial design specialists in hardware and software engineering as well as used in education and research projects. For more information visit www.gumstix.com
ARM is registered trademark of ARM Ltd and Cortex is a trademark of ARM Ltd. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Gumstix, Inc.