Health Care Service Corporation Finds Success With Innovative Program Targeting Obesity Epidemic
"Weight problems have caused major health concerns for Americans," said
The program is part of HCSC's Blue Care Connection, a collaborative care management system designed to encourage the pursuit of evidence-based prevention and intervention so members can improve their health and avoid unnecessary medical costs. The Lifestyle Management Program incorporates a multidisciplinary approach as well as health data tools to support participating members and their physicians. With these tools and unique approach, the program enables members to take responsibility for their health through weight management education and supportive intervention.
"This program works better than any diet I've ever tried, and I've tried many," said Sills. "The personal attention, accountability and great ideas make all the difference in the world."
According to a recent study by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 34 percent of adult Americans are obese. As a result, they are more likely to develop costly health complications such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Through a pilot Lifestyle Management Program, HCSC helped 50 percent of participants lose an average of 11.2 pounds and 2.3 Body Mass Index (BMI) points. Lifestyle Management benefits the member and other interested parties as well:
- Decreased health risks and complications due to obesity
- Improved self management skills
- Decreased expenses for routine, proactively managed health care
- Enhanced potential for longevity, enabling the individual to be there for loved ones
- Enhanced quality of life to be able to engage and participate in important activities
- Improved management of health care expenses
- Reduction in sick days
- Increased communication with insurer
- Increased satisfaction with insurer
- Reductions in serious, expensive procedures
- Creation of a strategic partnership in managing the member's disease process
- Improved communication with member and insurer
*The program is available to members enrolled through an employer group who has contracted with HCSC for services.
Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in
SOURCE Health Care Service Corporation
More by this Source
Jim Barone Named Health Care Service Corporation's Volunteer Of The Year
Dec 11, 2013, 08:30 ET
Health Care Service Corporation Named Illinois' Healthiest Large Employer
Nov 19, 2013, 08:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.