Health Care Service Corporation Ranked as One of the Most Diverse Companies in the Country for 5th Consecutive Year
Also ranked among Top 10 Companies for Supplier Diversity and for African Americans
A total of 401 companies vied for the honor this year. That was 14 percent more than last year which underscores the increasing emphasis on diversity management among progressive companies.
"Health Care Service Corp. has developed an increasingly inclusive work force. The company also has emerged as a supplier-diversity leader in the health-insurance industry," said
"Diversity and inclusion have always been business imperatives for Health Care Service Corporation," said
Key factors in HCSC's success were its strong mandatory diversity-training program and the metrics used to assess its success, its progressive work/life policies, its benefits for same-sex partners of employees, its community philanthropy and its evolving supplier-diversity program, especially for subcontractors.
The list was unveiled
"We provide a culture and work environment where employees from various backgrounds are encouraged to contribute their unique perspectives," said Taylor-Nash. "In addition, we support them in developing their full potential. We recognize that diversity and inclusion foster a culturally competent and innovative workforce."
The DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity list is a purely editorial process with no connection to business done with DiversityInc. It is determined entirely by a statistical analysis of responses to our 200-question survey. There is no fee to enter. DiversityInc Top 50 companies demonstrate consistent strength in four areas: CEO Commitment, Human Capital, Corporate and Organizational Communications, and Supplier Diversity. The list itself covers 19 industries, from consumer-facing companies to B-to-B's to industrial businesses. They range from small regional companies to global giants.
Other key findings from The 2009 DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity:
the United States, the DiversityInc Top 50 hire 41% Blacks, Latinos, Asians and American Indians, compared with the U.S. work force, which is 32% Black, Latino, Asian and American Indian (BLS)
- 25% of DiversityInc Top 50 companies' managers are Black, Latino, Asian and American Indian, compared with 17% nationwide (BLS)
- DiversityInc Top 50 boards of directors are 23% Black, Latino, Asian and American Indian, compared with 13% nationally
- DiversityInc Top 50 boards of directors are 24% female, compared with 15% nationally
- One-third more DiversityInc Top 50 chief diversity officers now report to their CEOs than four years ago (28% vs. 18%)
- 88% of DiversityInc Top 50 CEOs personally sign off on executive compensation tied directly to diversity initiatives, compared with 72% in 2005
- All of the DiversityInc Top 50 companies now have employee-resource groups for their LGBT employees, 70% have groups for employees with disabilities, and 40% have generational resource groups. DiversityInc benchmarking customers seek data on employee-resource groups more than any other subject
- In 2005, less than 1% of DiversityInc Top 50 philanthropy went to multicultural groups; today, almost 25% does
- There has been a 50% increase in companies including supplier diversity in their RFPs (requests for proposals) since 2004 (60% vs. 90%)
About Health Care Service Corporation
Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in
Launched in 1997, DiversityInc is the leading business publication connecting diversity and the bottom line, with 1 million unique monthly visitors. DiversityInc.com includes the largest diversity job board in the nation. DiversityInc also produces events and conducts benchmarking, custom research and consulting.
SOURCE Health Care Service Corporation
More by this Source
Jim Barone Named Health Care Service Corporation's Volunteer Of The Year
Dec 11, 2013, 08:30 ET
Health Care Service Corporation Named Illinois' Healthiest Large Employer
Nov 19, 2013, 08:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.