WASHINGTON, Dec. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Following the Food & Drug Administration's recent decision that it no longer considers the man-made additive "partially hydrogenated oils," (commonly referred to as "trans fat") safe, consumer groups and independent doctors are now targeting the highly controversial sugar substitute High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) as the most dangerous ingredient in the nation's food supply.
Jim Turner, who chairs Citizens for Health, a leading consumer awareness group, believes the demise of HFCS will soon follow the fate of trans fat:
- Both are highly-processed industrial ingredients shrouded in secrecy.
- Both cause excessive damage to the liver.
- Both spent millions on lobbyists, TV ads and highly paid advocates to try and convince consumers that their products are safe.
- As health concerns escalated, food companies, supermarkets and restaurants voluntarily removed these ingredients.
- Communities began banning or restricting these ingredients to stem the burgeoning medical costs associated with them.
- Lawsuits piled up, claiming these ingredients cause serious health damages.
As clinical evidence against HFCS mounts, independent researchers are going on record to alert consumers about its health risks:
- Obesity expert Dr. Robert H. Lustig stated, "Type 2 diabetes was unheard of in children prior to 1980--when High Fructose Corn Syrup began to be incorporated into processed foods."
- Dr. Mark Hyman, Chairman of the Institute for Functional Medicine, said HFCS "is driving most of the epidemic of heart disease, cancers, and diabetes."
- Dr. Michael Goran, Director of the Childhood Obesity Research Center, reported that the HFCS found in many soft drinks are at excessive concentrations not Generally Recognized as Safe by the FDA.
Citizens for Health has filed a petition asking the FDA to take action against food and beverage manufacturers that use HFCS concentrations above approved limits, and to require accurate HFCS labeling information. Concerned consumers are encouraged to visit the Citizens for Health website to submit their comments and sign the petition.
About Citizens for Health
Funded by concerned consumers, non-profit partners, food growers, and businesses, Citizens for Health is a non-profit organization providing over 130,000 supporters with news, action alerts, and ways to demand access to healthy food, non-toxic products, and truthful, non-misleading health information. More information is available at www.citizens.org.
SOURCE Citizens for Health